Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Overheating

One thing I use to keep the radiator clean is Simple Green. I spray it down real good and let it set and hit it again with another good covering and let sit for about 5 minutes and spray it out with the garden hose. This always helps to get the road and trail dust cleaned out.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Boomer222
Dose anyone make the radiator mod other than Hy-lifter.... it's nice to have a comparison?
nope Highlifter is the only ones that i know of that makes a replacement radiator kit for the Grizz....

Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

I have had a few grizzleys come to our shop and i have had about three of them with a overheat problem ,temp light comes on, I have found that the thermostat has been defective the pin in the center of thermostat bents and either holds thermo closed or in open position with can also cause a over heat problem because coolant is always circulating and never has a change to colect in radiator and cool down ,there is a updated thermostat on I believe the 03 and 04s but I still had some that were bad, Check yours out.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: vmaxer
I have had a few grizzleys come to our shop and i have had about three of them with a overheat problem ,temp light comes on, I have found that the thermostat has been defective the pin in the center of thermostat bents and either holds thermo closed or in open position with can also cause a over heat problem because coolant is always circulating and never has a change to colect in radiator and cool down ,there is a updated thermostat on I believe the 03 and 04s but I still had some that were bad, Check yours out.
how would one go about checking this out? I have a temp gauge I need to install one day, seems like a good time to check out the t-stat

Old 06-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Take your thermostat out and put it in boiling water to see if it works.

Mount your new radiator on the front rack, that's what most of the mudders do. it's easier to clean and usually doesnt get dirty anyhow.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just got back from work.

I have installed the highlift radiator and fan. Huge difference in ability to move air.

Checked to make sure all the heat updates were installed. Jet, heat shield etc. and all components were in.

I don't think the quad is too lean as I can run in 10*F with no problems. Gas boils and the quad overheats when it is warm outside, but I will check the plug.

I will change the thermostat but I don't think it is sticking.

The exhaust tip I installed is called a "2R Racing Billet Power Tip" and flows way more exhaust (probably 200%) as compared to stock. This will no doubt pull more air and lean down the air/fuel ratio and I will watch this. I have a K&N filter but I won't install it until I see where I am with the jetting.

I took a look at my stock rad when it was removed and it was clean. Maybe 10% of the fins were bent. I really think that the cooling system on the grizzly was under designed for the type of off road riding most of us do. Once I get a few miles on the quad, I will update this tread.

Thanks again for the help.