Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Overheating

After the overheating update kit, removing the side panels, over ride on the fan, my 03 Grizzly still overheats. I live in Alberta and ride in mostly 60-70* temps. I just purchased a billet insert for the exhaust (opens up exhaust and hopefully will lower the exhaust temp) and a Highlifter heavy duty radiator and fan.

I hope this will fix the problem. I ride with many other models of quads and other Grizzlys and no other has as many overheating, gas boiling problems as my Grizz. I hope the $800 Cdn is worth it.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

I never had overheating problems until Marengo last year. After that, it was all the time. I got the headpipe jett hot coated but haven't really ridden it much to see if it solved the problem

Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

well guys one of the worst parts about the Grizzly's radiator mounted so high up is the fact that it's hard to clean....tear the front end apart and thoroughly clean it out so you can see through it....also when it overheats check and see what color your header is....if it's glowing red then you've got a severe lean spot....and that's not good

Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

The rad is very difficult to clean because it is so high up. I have cleaned the bottom 2/3 or so as good as I can. Like you mentioned, the front must be taken apart to clean the upper part of the rad. Funny thing is that the other 3 Grizzlys have the same problem and they are 2005 models. Riding in the open is ok but once you ride in the trees down cutlines at slow speed with mud bogs thrown in, these things overheat terrible. Not fun when the other rides 750 Brute Force, 700 Suzuki and Bombi's don't have the same problem. The exception is the Polaris 700 and 600's these quads run very hot as well.

The Grizz is an excellent ride, smooth, good power, great in the mud with the diff lock etc, etc. I just need to get this heat problem fixed. I was thinking about having the header and pipe ceramic coated. So far, removing the side panels seem to provide the best solution.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I'm running a /05 Griz & have some heat problems, very Interested in how your rad. kit works? What did the exhaust tip do for it?

Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

if your kit that you bought doesnt work.. my buddie had the same prob... on an 05 grizz, runs fine for about 15 mins, then boggs down and gets real hot... but we took it apart, removed the radiator, and mounted it on the top of the quad, runs like a freakin dream... the thing doesnt get hot at all... lemme know if you are gunna try this. or need more details.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try to put in bigger jets to make the mixer richer.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

they already run rich from the factory.....do you have any other mods like a K&N?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

My griz never overheated, but it really started to run cooler when I rejetted with a dyno jet kit. It gets the mixture almost perfect. With an aftermarket filter and the exaust mod, it could be lean. The recommend a 155dj for your mods and I would bet that it will fix the problem as well as giving you a little more power. I have massive air intake and my griz still runs as cool as can be. It also fixes the sputtering problems with steam in the intake. Opening up the exaust will not lower exhaust temp, but it will lean the mixture due to better flow, Raising the temperature. The only thing that cools the piston is the incoming mixture. That is why it is so important that it is correct. The water jacket only cools the cylinder. It is not that expensive to try and will probably help. If you plan on doing any airbox mods, you can call dyno jet and order larger jets than come with the kit for $2 a piece and they get there in a couple of days.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did put the Dyno jet kit in and I just put the exhaust tip on, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Looks like I maybe able to get out this weekend. Dose anyone make the radiator mod other than Hy-lifter.... it's nice to have a comparison?

Quick Reply: Grizzly Overheating