Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

are wheelies bad for your quad??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default are wheelies bad for your quad??????

I can pull a wheelie in 3rd with no clutch.

oh you mean on a street bike. I'm not that brave.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
I can pull a wheelie in 3rd with no clutch.

oh you mean on a street bike. I'm not that brave.
Yes I'm sure he means streetbikes. I can lift my Ex in 5th with no clutch, but I normally do wheelies from a dead-stop, so I use the clutch.

3rd on my streetbike requires clutch.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

hey josh, when are you going to get some more videos up?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ive been waiting.

what do you mean on a streetbike you usually have to use the clutch to get it up? i thought those things had so much power you could pull em up in almost any gear. im not an expert on streetbikes at all but ive seen a lot of videos. can you really tell me that an R1 in 1st gear cant lift the front end to the balance point from a slow roll without using the clutch. that doesnt make sense. those things should be able to pull up in a least 3rd. maybe im just wrong or confused but can someone set me straight?

Old 06-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

It will actually save a ton of wear on your front tires! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ

what do you mean on a streetbike you usually have to use the clutch to get it up? i thought those things had so much power you could pull em up in almost any gear. im not an expert on streetbikes at all but ive seen a lot of videos. can you really tell me that an R1 in 1st gear cant lift the front end to the balance point from a slow roll without using the clutch. that doesnt make sense. those things should be able to pull up in a least 3rd. maybe im just wrong or confused but can someone set me straight?
They will come up on there own power, but a "crotch rocket" is kind of like a 2-stroke, you got to shift a lot to stay in the real power. Plus they are long so the don't come up easy. If your wanting to do a "show" wheely or sumpin where you want to walk it, generally you have to dump the clutch. I dump the clutch on my dirtbike to if I want to do a good one.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: TheRaptorMan
It will actually save a ton of wear on your front tires! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
How true, LMAO! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

hey josh, when are you going to get some more videos up?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ive been waiting.

As soon as we find a spot to ride we'll get some stuff on tape and up on the net....Hopefully that is in the very near future cause I'm dying to ride/film too.

Yeah, streetbikes have a lot of power, but the power band is pretty weird. You also have to take into consideration the gearing of them.

My Gixxer 750 will come up in 1st and 2nd with no clutch, but I can only pick it up in 3rd about 1.5 feet off the ground if I try without using the clutch. The main reason you use the clutch in gears that you could pull it up without it if you wanted us because you have a lot more control of how the wheelie comes up.

Obviously, the more power the bike has, the easier it comes up...so it varies from bike to bike.

1st gear on a bike is faster than 5th or 6th gear on most quads....you can go right around 70mph in 1st on most sportbikes. If I pick mine up in 2nd and ride it out, I'm doing about 115 when I set it down on the ground.

-Josh

Old 06-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JoshCVBz

As soon as we find a spot to ride we'll get some stuff on tape and up on the net....Hopefully that is in the very near future cause I'm dying to ride/film too.

Yeah, streetbikes have a lot of power, but the power band is pretty weird. You also have to take into consideration the gearing of them.

My Gixxer 750 will come up in 1st and 2nd with no clutch, but I can only pick it up in 3rd about 1.5 feet off the ground if I try without using the clutch. The main reason you use the clutch in gears that you could pull it up without it if you wanted us because you have a lot more control of how the wheelie comes up.

Obviously, the more power the bike has, the easier it comes up...so it varies from bike to bike.

1st gear on a bike is faster than 5th or 6th gear on most quads....you can go right around 70mph in 1st on most sportbikes. If I pick mine up in 2nd and ride it out, I'm doing about 115 when I set it down on the ground.

-Josh
ok, thx. ive never been on a streetbike, im onyl 17 but thanks, that helps answer my question. i wish i could go 70 in 1st gear on my quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!

Old 06-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

i been wheeling my quad latley and i use the clutch..............so is that bad or not

Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

So if I'm in the water and i rev my four-wheeler a little and downshift from 2nd to 1st. Is that bad on my transmission? I know its bad for my rear-end (not a big issue). Just need to know if it is bad on transmission and how bad.

Quick Reply: are wheelies bad for your quad??????