Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

are wheelies bad for your quad??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are wheelies bad for your quad??????

i was hereing that it wasent good for it and it makes the life of your atv not last as long is it true

Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer

depends on how your doing a wheelie, it could be bad if your doing it a bad way... you dont wanna rev it up, and drop the clutch and do a wheelie, and you dont wanna start off in first gear, and stay in first gear while your doing your wheelie... just start off putsin in first and just hammer it, and make sure you shift while your doing it too.. it takes pratice but you'll get better..

Old 06-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

The only real threat to a quad from doing wheelies would be if the quad is not equiped with a dry sump oil system. With a wet sump system, you run the risk of cutting off your oil supply to your top end. Even so, most wet sump systems oil very well even at extreme angles. But if you have a dry sump system, wheelie away, just keep your foot close to that rear brake in case SHTF.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

If you screw up bad on wheelies it's a possible new grab bar or subframe sometimes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

I started doing wheelies by putting my knees on the back of the seat and after i got better i went for now i am doing stoppies!!

Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

they wont hurt your quad unless your doing something you should be doing anyways. like revving to high or dumping the clutch TOO much or incorrectly. ive also heard but im not sure, that if you wheelie your quad for too long the oil will run or something and the engine will start to burn up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] i think it had something to do with that dry/ wet sump "no2strokeBS" was talkin about. and only on 4 strokes. oil is premixed with the 2 strokes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ive ruined my grab bar from going over backwars but that was just a $40 fix. not too bad. just be careful. probably wont do any real damage to your quad. i wouldnt wheelie a utility tho. :-/

Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rapt660beast
depends on how your doing a wheelie, it could be bad if your doing it a bad way... you dont wanna rev it up, and drop the clutch and do a wheelie, and you dont wanna start off in first gear, and stay in first gear while your doing your wheelie... just start off putsin in first and just hammer it, and make sure you shift while your doing it too.. it takes pratice but you'll get better..
wow...so to wrap up what u said......dump the throttle when its at dead low rpms, instead of using the clutch.....ummm yeaaaaaaaa riiiiiiiiiight

Old 06-16-2005, 11:30 AM
The Facility

To clarify what the lack of lubrication is all about.....the issue is with the oil pump pick up.....BUT it doesn't matter if the engine is wet sump or dry sump. What does matter is if the oil pump pickup, which is usually the pump itself, is in front or behind the crankshaft and how low it sits in the case on that particular engine.

And like already mentioned here, this really only applies to 4 stroke engines.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

I agree that the only real issue could be the oil pickup....That totally depends on what quad you have. I haven't personally whitnessed a quad yet that suffered an engine failure from doing wheelies, so more than likely most are fine.

My quad is on 2 wheels more than it's on 4, and I have never had any abnormal wear or tear on it.

Of course as mentioned, the risk of damaging things as a result of a crash more than likely increases.

I have not seen problems occur from "clutching up" wheelies, as I use this method more than any other. I also haven't seen issues from power up wheelies with the throttle.

Staying in one gear will also not hurt anything. If you can do a true balance point wheelie, your engine will be running at low to mid-rpms typically. If you are the type who can not ride at balance point and need constant acceleration to keep the wheelie up, worst case scenario is that you hit the rev limiter occasionally. I am assuming that this is probably not the smartest thing to do over and over and over, but I don't see it really hurting anything any more than normal hard riding. Simply put, if you cannot ride a wheelie at a constant speed you need more practice. There is no NEED to shift in a wheelie unless you actually do have a need to accelerate (other than to keep the front end up). If that is the case, then you should feel comfortable enough to use the clutch when shifting, so you are all set there too.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

-Josh

Old 06-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what I was going to say, basically if you know what your doing you can ride a wheely in any gear, or shift thru the gears.

Clutching a bike isn't going to hurt anything, might put a little more wear on it and that's about it. How do you think street bikes ride long wheelies? Usually you will never get it up by dumping the throttle with no clutch.

Quick Reply: are wheelies bad for your quad??????