Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to the forum, have some exhaust questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the forum, have some exhaust questions.

The K&N filter should help it breath better so rejetting it may be necessary.If I remember correctly stock jetting is 140(left carb.),145(right carb.).When I put on my graydon pipe with the lid still on,they told me to jet it 145/150.Let me know if I'm wrong.My memory is not real great sometimes.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only got the exhaust on, no k&n. Factory everything except the pipe.

Are you sure that is normal? the headpipe is very red and glowing. I was told that is a very lean side affect. I just don't want to mess anything up by running it this way.

Any more thoughts, please?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Range Rover

Well if you have'nt added any more air and you have'nt ever rejetted,- not added anymore fuel why would you be running lean? Is your machine running any different?, aside from noisier. I have'nt run mine at night but was told that they will glow. I am not an expert but I think your safe.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't rode it yet. the only difference that I can tell besides the sound is when I rev it up and let off the throttle, it backfires. and when i shut it off, it backfired.

Does that mean anything?

Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Range Rover

If there is no hesitation and it seems to be running well I would take it for a ride. I think one of the best ways of telling were your at is checking your plug. unless something is really off, ie, I tried putting my powerlid on with the stock exhaust and jetting and as soon as I started er up it was popping and sputtering. I knew I had to rejet. So once again I'll say I am not an expert but I would take it for a good rip and go from there.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

alright, i guess i could take it for a ride. The is no sputtering or hesitation when you hit the throttle, just when you let off it backfires just alittle. You said the head pipe should glow at night, so, I guess its ok.

I know you understand my situation. I just don't want to screw up my engine like the piston or other major stuff by running lean. Whats some other stuff i should look for to help determine if its too lean for before I ride?

Thanks for all your help man, your awsome!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Range Rover

If your lean your machine will run a little better with the choke on a little bit. I honestly don't believe you have anything to worry about. I, like you, have an 05 le and love it and fully understand that situation. Oh and by the way I am running rich right now and mine backfires when I let off or going down a hill. I just found my paper from ct and it explains that it is perfectly normal for a mild steel headpipe to glow red at night and that it does'nt indicate a lean condition. Take it for a ride and see.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, i'm fixing to go wake up everyone w/ that pipe ripping down the road but, i can't sleep untill i and sure that I won't melt anything.

Thanks for all of your late night advice! I'll post back withing the hour on how she ran on the maiden voyage.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think it will def. have to be re-jeted before the next ride. Just putt'n around in 1st gear and hittin the throttle, the is nothing but hesitation. You have to slide the choke more than half over to just get moving. 2nd gear and up, it sputters when riding at a constant speed. It pops and backfires during deceleration. Still sounds good though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Any more suggestions?