Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wow.. chain fell off and no idea how to fix it. *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow.. chain fell off and no idea how to fix it. *HELP*

Was riding in the woods today when my chain fell off. I checked it out and it is all bunched up on the small spocket and off the rear sproket. I then had to push it for a half an hour up and down the trail. Wasn't fun.

Anyways.. the chain is off teh rear sproket and bunched up (doubled up) against the fram where the small sproket is, near the tranny. How do I fiz this and what should I do.. this has never happened to me before. Should i take the rear skid plate off also?

Thx so much guys.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

im not quite shure what ur saying but i think i have a idea...........try this.....put it in neuatral then from the back pull on the bottom half of the chain as hard as you can and you could probally get it undone.........if ur chain came off it means u need new sprockets or it was really loose......its not good when your chain just flys off because u could blow a hole in your casing like that

Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

If your chain is bunched up in the front, chances are that your cases are cracked. Removing the front sprocket will probably be your easiest way of getting the chain unbunched. Check the cases real well after you get it off.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

yeah.. it was too loose so it came off.. and i don't think i craked the case or whatever because i was doing low first gear when it happened.. and once it stalled out i never started it again..

Old 06-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

I was in the EXACT situation as you. Just jerk the chain as much as you can then take the master link alose and put it back on. If your chain was that loose and you cant keep it tight i know your problem. I had the top engine mounts(the 2 under the gas tank) broke causing my engine to push back and making my chain loose along with causing head pipe problems. If you got these problems too and dont know where the mounts are just PM me.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

its not good when your chain just flys off because u could blow a hole in your casing like that
thats exactly what happend to my raptor 350, a carrier bolt fell off which caused the chain to pop off, yamaha was nice enough to fix it cause that bolt has fallen off 3 times. what i did when my chain popped off was kicked it in reverse and it shot back out into place. i just rolled it back on the sprocket and limped it back home.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

if the case was cracked i think he would know it.........mostliekly oil would be spilling out from the crack/hole.............even if you are in 1st when ur chain comes off it could still damage it if you give it enough throttle and the chain bunches up a real lot then all the pressure will deffianlty put a hole in the case.........it would be a good idea to get a case saver too