Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Whats the loudest

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 04:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with having a loud pipe. You guys need to quit badmouthing the dude just cuz you got big expensive 4x4's. Everything I have is loud my 3-wheeler is kinda loud and I have one of those cheap cherry bombs on my J10 yeah I know why in the heck would anybody want a cherry bomb? Well it seems to be doing just fine and way less $ than others. Oh I know what your gonna say look at this stupid redneck he's still drivin one of those old J10's and oh my god its got a cherry bomb too!!! Well too bad!!

Back to the pipe a Cobra or DG are the loudest you can get.
Oh and one more thing try to lighten up a little and quit fighting over pipes

Old 10-22-2000, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Do you notice it's only four strokes replying negative to this post. Shouldn't you be worried about a snow plow or lawn mower for your quad. What do you care about loud pipes for?? I could be wrong but hopefully we're on the same page as high performance, that's what those pipes are designed for anyways. Now please don't ask what tires are the best or we'll have to hear it for a month about Holeshots ripping up the soil and everyone losing there riding areas.

Old 10-22-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Loud = poor engineering. Open up the pipe, better performance, cheap to build. And I don't think you'll find any state that will let you run a car striaght pipes on the street. Just because someone does it, doesn't make it legal.

And in case you haven't been paying attention, loud = annoying = public closing our riding areas. Just look at what has happened at Glamis.

BTW, ever been hunting way out in nowhere and heard a chainsaw in the distance. That chainsaw could be miles away. So don't you go thinking noonw will hear you with a loud pipe. And just read a sierra club website about how mad they get when they hear any vehicle in the wilderness. They're starting to win...

Old 10-24-2000, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

YaMaRaPtoR, you hit the nail on the head - This discussion is exactly like arguing with Beavis and Butthead. These guys are clueless and they have no regard for anyone else's rights.

They don't vote, they live off of Mom & Dad, and they wouldn't know a current event if it bit them in the ***. They have no social concience and they don't understand the threat of trail closures to our sport. Louder is better and they don't worry about riding off the trail either.

It's not their problem, "That Atv noise pollution crap, it's just another way that people who can't ride want to spoil the fun of others" or "The decibel level of our quads and dirtbikes are not the reasons we lose riding areas. A liberal administration that bends over backwards to appease the eco-fanatics, and their resulting policies are what get our riding areas closed".

If you really believe either of these statements then you need to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition and start learning about what the tree huggers are trying to do and the amunition that you guys are supplying.

One of the arguments about snowmobiles in Yellowstone is the noise. Noise polution from off-road vehicles is the reason that they are trying to create buffer zones around the wilderness areas.

Get a clue folks. They are trying to shut us down and they are currently winning. I'm not against performance mods but loud just to be loud is stupid, and if that last 3% increase in power comes at the expense of 15 - 20% more noise then I would hope that we as a group would opt for the quiter solution in hopes that our riding won't be curtailed.

Old 10-24-2000, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

holy crap!!!! whats the world comin too!!!!! i agree with quadfather for once!!!!!

Old 10-24-2000, 02:19 AM
Range Rover

JMoody, do you really believe that the environmentalists would have made so much headway, if we had a Republican president the last 8 years? Absolutely not! No way. If noise was really the issue, why do we have NASCAR and NHRA races? Why do we still have outdoor concerts? Why do we allow airports to operate? We put after market pipes on our quads for performance, and with that comes noise. You can't avoid it. People don't dump $300 to $400 into pipes for the sole purpose of making the quad louder. Obviously, we want the power, and some like it louder than others. Just because you are of the OPINION that loud quads are annoying, doesn't make it fact. If I want a loud pipe, then that is my right. Do you think if every last ATVer had quieter stock exhaust, that the greenies would leave us alone? Please. There is no such thing as compromise with these eco-fanatics. The take and they take, because people like you give and give. Well I'm mot giving an inch. I won't back down from eco-extremists, since riding in a sanctioned area with loud exhaust is legal, and I won't back down from weak-kneed ATVers, such as yourself, who feel we owe the greenies something. Vote Bush. Have a nice day.

Old 10-24-2000, 03:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

99WarMachine, I agree that Clinton & Gore are in bed with the environmentalists but that's not the only problem. Do you realize that off-roaders are a minority? Do you realize that the majority of the people east of the Mississippi have never been in a national forest or have a clue about the issues and yet because of their numbers they have a huge impact. Nation-wide most people will side with protecting the environment and unfortunately they believe the evironmentalists.

The public is willing to accept noise at racing events, outdoor concerts, and airports, but they don't want to go to woods for peace and quiet only to hear some dumbass on a warrior or blaster with a cobra pipe 3 miles away.

You think you can defeat these people by refusing to change or "give in"? Stubborness is not going to change public opinion. What are you going to do if your sanctioned riding area is closed by whatever govt. agency controls it because the public wants the noise to stop? You might be able to win at the polls but you are fighting against the majority.

I don't believe in giving in. I am a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition and I contibute to their defense fund. I also belong the the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition. In Colorado we have been in a huge battle with the govt. over the White River national forest. Whatever happens here will probably form the basis of how the rest of the national forests are administored. It's people like you that make it hard to sway public opinion.

I have and will continue to buy performance parts for my quads. I had a stage III perfomance kit added to my 2-stroke but the cobra muffler they used was way too loud. I went with quieter muffler, lost a little HP but made a lot fewer people upset. I don't think that was giving in to the greenies, I think that was just being respectfull of other people.

Next time you are in the woods stop by and ask some of the people there who are not riding ATVs or dirtbikes how they like the noise. I bet you won't find anyone over the age of 25 who likes to hear you rip it through the gears. Then with your new found knowledge send half the the cost of your pipe and muffler to the Blue Ribbon Coalition so that maybe they can keep your riding areas open.

Joe Moody
2001 Black & White Raptor

Old 10-24-2000, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

Ok ok ok...

After rereading through all these posts I have come to a couple of conclusions.

1. Most of you ride in OHV parks/National Forests that allow ATV's/Dirtbikes?/or any other place where noise is a problem.
2. Some of you just dont like noise.
3. Well hell with it now to my dicussion.

Depending on riding areas noise can or cannot be a problem. If you are near other people where noise pollution is a problem then dont get a loud pipe, its just damn annoying. Now if you are out in BFE positive that no one is around for miles then the noise wont be a problem.

When I got my Blaster it was pretty loud just stock, I wanted a little bit more HP so I went out and bought a FMF Fatty with Power Core II silencer. I had no idea it would make it louder but it sure as hell did! BUT! the places I ride at noise pollution isnt a problem, if it was then I would have took it back and got a different pipe, easy as that.

My FMF isnt that loud, trust me, out at Rocky Ridge Decatur and the old Flying P I have heard Dirtbikes with stock pipes and 400EX's/warrior's/banshee's with other pipes HELLA louder than mine and yes, that was kinda annoying, hell, even the enduros are freagin really loud.

Both of these places that I ride at are private owned land where people pay to ride and are out in BFE (middle of no where).

It really depends on where you ride basiclly, but please if your loud pipe is causing a problem, reconsider changing it.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

How does it feel to be right for the first time?

Old 10-24-2000, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with some and I disagree! Yes if you were to stop someone and say "Is my bike too loud" they would say "Yes!" If you would say"would you like me to leave this area" they'd probably say "Yes" Now one thing, why should people with loud pipes have to do that? Sure I know the fight that's taking place but America is all about freedom. It is they're right to be out there and it's my right to be riding there. It's all about wanting to put up with it. I know people drive cars like morons but I put up with it to go in town somewhere. The way I see it you spend a great deal of money on these machines and you can tune them to YOUR liking. Loud pipes, a cool head whatever you want to do to your machine. What is going to be next? I agree with alot, I just don't like the way he got lit up for asking what pipes were the loudest. If we do not put up a fight, they will take everything. If we "give in" that's just one more piece to they're jigsaw puzzle. Then we won't be allowed in any wooded area for anything hunting, fishing, site seeing, anything. You give, they'll take. People make a stand maybe we'll make it. And Yes it is a phase 16 to around 24 loud pipes are cool 'til you start going deaf. Except for bikers, which will be next in the topics!

Quick Reply: Whats the loudest