Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

This guys full of it

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This guys full of it

You're right, nevermind!

Yamaha has never built an engine or anything like that.

Bottom line...why do they put a "break-in" section in their owner's manual???

It doesn't matter what I've read or if I assembled and engine before...If the directions states to do it, I'm going to do it.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

I HAVE ONE WORD FOR THIS GUY.. BS

Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

It Yamaha was really looking out for you they would have you do the 1st oil change alot sooner so you can get the crud out from the break in......insted they want you to run it in the motor for a while....go figure

Old 07-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Warrior02man
I HAVE ONE WORD FOR THIS GUY.. BS
Its real easy to say BS when something is over your head

Old 07-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

this my friends is why this is a contreversal topic...

i dont think yamaha would say [i]ride it like you stole it[i] to their customers who are going to be breaking in their new quads. hey, maybe both ways work. whatever works for you. as long as it runs, right?

Old 07-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: TexasRaptor

Bottom line...why do they put a "break-in" section in their owner's manual???

It doesn't matter what I've read or if I assembled and engine before...If the directions states to do it, I'm going to do it.

Smart man

Old 07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Better not wheelie or jump your quad then. Oh, and don't forget about the "ride too fast statement in your owners manual".

I hope none of you "easy break-in" people ever put an extreem high lift, high rev cam in ANY engine. Your going to be in for a BIG surprise!!!!
Warmed it up and did many drag passes on my new V right off the trailer.
When I get a chance I will post some pictures of what I found in my filter and on the drain plug of the sump. I will also post some leak down figures when I find a fitting that will fit.
BTW, how many of you people do a filter check on the first oil change? How many of you do a base leakdown? I would bet less than .01%.

The last two pictures in my profile show a 10 to 1 motor. It was lit off, and immediatly taken to 3,500 to 4 grand and held there for cam break-in. Then it was warmed up at the track and to 8 grand it went..............with the full load of Good Year 15X15 tires.
Break it in how you want, I'm happy with my technique; and I'm sure your happy with yours.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
Better not wheelie or jump your quad then. Oh, and don't forget about the "ride too fast statement in your owners manual".

I havent found that in the manual and dont intend to.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LT250R Suzuki manual goes through this big break in spill and tells you to put 50hrs total on the motor before going full throttle (NO JOKE!). Now that's funny, but it is also a 2-cycle with close clearances.

Back several years ago I was always hesitant about firing a new motor to break in a cam and hold it at a high rpm like Doc stated. You guys dont seem to understand that if a motor is built with correct tolerances and allowed to come up to operating temperature first then it doesnt hurt it to run it hard. Just get the first oil out of it fairly quickly. And yes, I do cut open my oil filters as well at the first oil change. That along with gauges will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

There's a BIG difference in being liable for not condoning certain actions that are considered "unsafe" on an ATV.

Breaking-in an engine is a completly different matter.

Quick Reply: This guys full of it