Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor wheelies

so many people say that a raptor can do wheelies in 3rd gear. Is this because they pop the clutch or pull back hard because my raptor doesn't do a wheelies just by punching the gas. I was wondering if they hype up the power too much or if there needs to be some adjustment on mine. Thanks for all the responses and information in advance.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default raptor wheelies

I'm not a wheelie expert or pro, though with stock gearing I can wheelie in 4th fairly easy, with 13/42 I can be nearly WOT in 5th.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

When mine was stock, it didn't take much to get the front end up. I could cruise around 1/4 throttle, then punch and give it a little jerk and I was staring at the sky. Now that I have my LRD system on, it seems a bit harder, but I think that is because the power has moved in the RPM range and I just need to get used to it. It still doesn't take much to get that fron end up though. I mostly ride dunes and have a set of 8 paddle Hauler extremes on, but the other day I was cruising around on some back roads by my dad's place and I had no problem lifting it up in fourth gear. It just takes practice and a little body english. You should have no problem wheeling.

-Brandon

Old 07-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default raptor wheelies

Getting the front end to come up on a quad is not about popping the clutch, or "jerking". Its not so much a jerk as it is making the rear of the quad squat. I rarely pulled on the handlebars, but instead, colapse your knees and press down with your legs, butt and back all at the same time. I could get the front to come up in 5th on my Raptor and 400ex, even in stock form, all without popping the clutch. Its all about finess, and not power. Try it.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

alright yea because i figured with all the mods on my quad a stab at the throttle should lift the wheels up and I know this sounds a little crazy, but at the end of my pipe there are holes for 6 bolts to hold the endcap on the pipe and only 3 screws are holding it in. Does that have anything to do with leaking back pressure? Does it have to be revving a little higher with the pipe now to get in the powerband and would a jet kit have anything to do with it. I was just concerned because when I punch the gas it takes off but i don't think the wheels come off the ground like i heard from so many other people.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

with my blaster (mods in sig) i can be going a bout 1/4 - 1/2 throttle pull the clutch in, give it a rev and pop the clutch and it pulls right up most of the time i can just nail it and pull up/back and the front end lifts right away all in 4th gear

Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default raptor wheelies

even with my +4 swingarm, i have no problem punching it and riding a wheelie till the cows home in 3rd gears, when i was on the stock arm i could do it in 5th no problem.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

I know this is completely off-topic, but CTracingraptor's icon-pic is the ****!

Speaking of "poping" a wheelie...

Old 07-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

i dont seem to have a problem, you just have to figure out what works for you, just a little body english and some throttle...

Old 07-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Range Rover
Default raptor wheelies

popping a wheelie yeah haha. It sucks where i live theres not many places where u can ride real close i have to go to PA.

Quick Reply: raptor wheelies