Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any Welders out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Welders out there?

Originally posted by: NBake
wow that looks familiar. look at my pics. i was lucky because mine was caused by a continuous problem of bolts coming out of the rear axle carrier(the top one came off 3 times, the bottom one twice). so we complained about it to the dealer and yamaha was nice enough to replace the case and pay for all the service except 2 hours(because there were 6 days left in the warranty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) we tried this stuff called aluma-loy, but we could get the case hot enough for it to mend to the case. we tried it on scrap metal and it worked perfect. if we could have gotten the case hot enough it would have mended. u would have to seperate the cases to do that but save costs on a brand new case.
as far as the alumiloy goes i had the same problem trying to get my clutch cover hot enough to patch the crack, i think you need a mapp gas tortch because it gets hotter then the propane.......i was dissipointed, i thought that stuff would come in handy quite a bit.

try patching the hole with jb again then heating up the meatl around it, it will kindof liqify the jb weld for a minute and it will work it self in the hole better and create a good seal, this is what i did when the alumiloy wouldnt work on my clutch cover, and the hole is where some sort of oil return line was so the patch is on constant pressure and it hasnt let go or leaked one drop for 3 months now

Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don`t see any problem with Tig welding your job. Any
tig welder can cut a small piece of aluminum to cover the small hole after cleaning it up with a dremmel tool. Just take your time to let it stay as cool as possible. There are no seals or gaskets to worry about. After it is covered you can then decide if you want to put the rest of it back on. But is it nessesary?

Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Gwinnwarrior
You can cover that piece and weld on it, you just have to figure out what the material is.

Is it cast aluminum or cast steel? (i honestly dont know, but its a casting for sure)

It will need to be welded with low heat for sure to not make a huge mess.

i would take it to a local fab shop and ask them to do it, we get guys that come in here all the time with stuff off their bikes and tracotrs and stuff, they get stuff fixed for dirt cheap.
Its aluminum. Thanks for all who replied! I am part way done taking the engine out. I think its just wiring and engine bolts to take out now. How long do you think it would take for the shop the take off the head and split the case and give one side to me?

Old 07-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

just to split the cases probally around 2 or 3 hrs but if you bring it to a dealer watch out because they like to drag their feet and they will chage you for it too

Old 07-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

probably lose parts too.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 04Raptor350Guy
Well, I managed to crack my case right above my sprocket. I tryed Epoxying it, but that didn't work and neither did JB Weld. So my next step is to actually have some one to weld it. Now I am wondering if I would have to split the case and give him half to weld? or could I just get it welded on there, or will it warp something or maybe it will make some kind of gas with the oil being inside. Here's a pic of it
if i were you id take it like it is but clean it real good where the weld isnt interrupted, then weld it it, and regrind it

Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I already cleaned it up all nice for the JBWeld and Epoxy. But i'm taking it in the get the case split and get it welded. How much do you figure it will be for gasgits?

Old 07-16-2005, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem on a sackadooky 230s. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
My solution was a propane torch and a Miracle rod cast aluminum low temp
welding rod that I had gotten at a swap meet in Oak Ridge TN.
Being a certified MIG, TIG and stick welder, I was skeptical to say the least. But much
to my surprise, It worked.
The only set back was, I (being the welder I am) did'nt read the directions on the first
attempt. So after reading the instructions, I finally got it welded, and used a dremel
tool to smooth and polish it up a bit.
As far as low cost (10$ for ten rods) and low difficulty fixes (I did have to split the case)
this was the way to go for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Peace
Magyver

Old 07-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ouch, thats a nasty hole, howd ya do that. chain fall off or break?

Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

It came off the back sprocket cause it was so loose and I was in mud so it just jammed in the front sprocket and I wasn't going anywhere in the mud so I gave er hell and I heard this PPOWWW and i'm like.. oh ****

Quick Reply: Any Welders out there?