Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Compared to A Twin Peaks/Prarie

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Compared to A Twin Peaks/Prarie

Not a question. I just bought a Grizzly today and wanted to give my short term opinion. I am impressed with the Grizzly. I didn't know how the single cylinder would compare to the twin, but it did pretty well. I noticed a lot more vibration from the Griz though. That twin is smooth. The ride of the 660 was very smooth and didn't feel tipsy at all. I am even on the second to softest setting in the back and the softest in the front. I even went on some side hills and did not feel like tipping. The Brute Force was removed from my list for that one reason. The transmission on the Yamaha engages very smoothly and is way quieter. The shifter is a little notchier than the Kawazuki but will probably get smoother as it breaks in. The 4x4 definetly engages and disengages much quicker on the Yamaha.
The sound of the 700 is sweeter than the single but is thirstier also. As the trail gets a little quicker the Kawazuki will start to shine but I don't go that fast anymore so this isn't as concerning to me anymore. Double up riding is easier on the Twin Peaks with its longer seat. Storage is pretty dismal on each machine. A rack bag is a must. It looks like getting to things will be easier on the Yamaha but the engine is more exposed in the front wheel wells. I don't know if that is good or bad.
The oil filter is placed in an easy to get location on the Yamaha but will get oil on the machine when changed. I may drain all the oil out and then tip the machine on it's side to get the filter off (some comments on this will be appreciated if this is a good idea or not.)
Other than that I believe each machine is pretty cool.
As far as accessories for the Grizzly. I plan to get a full skid plate package and eventually Maxxis Big Horns or Mudlites. I'm leaning toward the Maxxis because I really don't care for the ride of the Mudlites compared to the stock tires on the Twin Peaks. That's why I bought them on separate rims to take off for just riding around the house fun.
Sorry for the long post but I think comparisons are helpful when making purchases. This forum has provided a lot of good info and its recommendations have led to one very happy owner.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

hi pads
i just road my buddys 05 grizzly today for about an hour and i was impressed with the ride its smoother them my prarie.
his has 26" mudlites and it rides very well consittering i have the lites on my honda and it makes it ride like a buckboard.
the power is very good also.
i was impressed on how good it handles compered to one with stock tires.
i have road one with stock tires once and one with bearclaws once and like the way it rides with the wider tires better.
today was the second time i road my buddy daves but the first time was for only a few minutes and dident get a feel for it but i gave it a good go today and was impressed with the ride and how it handled.
but i still like my kawi 700 better.
but its not as smooth.
anyways congrats on your new toy.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I'm really impressed with both also. I would like to see the V-twin in the Grizzly chassis for some real fun though.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

There is nothing like running the griz accross an open hay field at 60 mph and it is smooth as silk.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I experienced big problems today. My wife rode the Grizzly and laid claim to it because it handled better and lighter than the Twin Peaks. That means the steering is way noticeable if she commented on it. We also took a little road excursion and the 660 seems more effortlessly accelerating than the 700. Both are way fun and will plow through just about anything.
I may be relegated to the Suzuki. Isn't life tough!!!!

Old 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

It took me about six months to figure out which quad I would get. I changed my mind about six times. I finally had it down to the Kodiak 450 and when I went to go get one I just fell in love with the looks and stance of the Grizz. So I bought a blue one because they were only about $700 more than the Kodi. I'm very glad I did it. They told me the Kodiak would top out at around 55 mph and the Grizz has plenty left to go at 55. Many people have commented on how "tippy" the Grizz is, but I guess I haven't had any problems. Power is very good and the ride is excellent over rough terrain as long as you're going fairly fast. It just floats across the ground. I too have noticed that the handlebars really do shake at low rpms, but smoothes out once you nail it. Overall I've very pleased with it. I hope it lasts a while. I had intended originally to get a King Quad, but I'm just too nervous yet to spend that kind of money knowing that there is a major flaw. That's what also led me to the Grizz since it has been out since '02 and hopefully they've worked any major bugs out of it. I'll say one thing at this point in my life I don't miss the Banshee although I had a lot of good times on it as well.