Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor not turning over???? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor not turning over???? Help

lol,,,just try to wack it best you can,,,,you dont really have a whole lot of room to work with,,,,a wooden broom handle will work too

just dont go beating on it with anything metal,,,you may end up with bigger issues

but you do say you feel the starter spinning?

its kinda tough,without being there to see first hand,,,thats why i figured i'd explain the basics of what goes on when you hit the start switch

Old 07-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

thats weird,,,why did that "tough" link pop in there?

Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

im all out of suggestions buddy,,,good luck,,,i know it bites,with the weekend on ya,and all

Old 07-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

i know i just got my new paddles today and then this happened. ill try replacing the silenoid tommorow hopefully thats it if not i am S.O.L. for a while till i get the starter fixed. just one off those funny things that comes with owning a quad, thanks for all the help

Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

dont go and start replacing parts until you tested them

pull your starter off,,,use a set of jumper cables (make sure you note which pole on the starter was possitive,and which was negitive),hook the cables to your car batt,and hook the neg up to the starter,then tap the pos lead of the cable to the pos of the starter,,,it should engage,,,if it doesnt its the starter,,,,also check the bendix (bendix = the gear wheel) travels freely

if the starter sounds like its spinning,it sounds like the selinoid,relay is OK

pull the starter apart,and check the brushs,and get some electrical componant cleaner and spray it out real good

replacing parts to find the culprit is a expensive way to go

Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

what all will i need to do to remove the starter?

Old 07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

its probably 2 bolts connecting it to the housing,,,and 2 wires and it pulls right off,,,there is a gasket on it too

there will be 2 long screws holding the starter together,and it will slip appart real easy

the brush's (2 of them) will "look" like pieces off a grinding wheel attatched to a spring,,,you will be able to tell if they are worn,if their worn ,they'll be almost to the spring (new the carbon will be around a 1/2" to 3/4" long),,,they are dirt cheap to replace,as long as they didnt get so bad they damaged the armiture

be sure the electrical cleanser is a non-residue cleanser,,,i use "paslode cordless nailer cleanser" for Paslode airless nailers,,,you can get it at Lowes,Home Depot

be thankful you dont own a Polaris,,,my last polaris i had to take a cold chisle and cut off a bracket to get the starter off,,,Yamaha had a little more foresight

Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

its real easy man,,,the most agrivating part will be getting it off,and back on with the limited space

the starter,and brush's are a breeze

like i said its hard not seeing it first hand,but from what you said,,,the batt tested OK,and the starter sounded like it was getting juice,I'd lay money its either bad brush's,or the starter is dirty,and hanging up

good luck

Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

i got everthing off except the shaft and windin i can get that little retaing clip on the gear end off
i have tried everything

Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

is it a "C" clip,with 2 lil holes at the open end,,,,or is a piece like a piece of spring steel

if its a "C" clip,you will need a pair of snap ring pliers

if its the spring steel kind,you can push the open ends with a screw driver,and use a pocket knife to wiggle between the shaft and clip,,,,,or try to work one end over the shaft,and try to roll it out of the groove

Quick Reply: Raptor not turning over???? Help