Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CAN YOU HELP ME OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN YOU HELP ME OUT?

Hey!

I could use some advice/comments from you all. I herniated a disk in my back and have been recovering for a while now; therefore, My Wolverine hasn't been ridden since the winter.

I have started it up and let it run a few times, enough to get the engine hot and the fluids flowing but no riding for a few months.

Do you all have any (GOOD/SERIOUS) suggestions regarding whether not to worry about anything, or some tips on what I might do to the quad, or look out for because of the low usage this year.

I want to keep it maintained well....

I will be riding it again most likey in a month or two... so we are looking at a good 8-9 months of no/low riding on the machine.

Thanks in advance for the $.02

lowend5!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sucks about the disk i had a freind who herniated a disk snowboarding anyway if you put stabile in the gas you have nothing to worry about but if not i would clean the carb drain the gas and oil, put fresh in and ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I would regrease everything and maybe check the bearings to make sure there ok.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Storj
Sucks about the disk i had a freind who herniated a disk snowboarding anyway if you put stabile in the gas you have nothing to worry about but if not i would clean the carb drain the gas and oil, put fresh in and ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I would regrease everything and maybe check the bearings to make sure there ok.
I agree with Storj.

Running it like you have been is a good thing. Helps to keep all the seals in good shape. I'd say drain the gas and change the oil and filter and let 'er rip.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

For now, id drain all the gas. Just open the drain on the bottom of the carb, and put the drain hose in a gas can, and then put that old gas in a lawn mower or truck. Make sure you leave the float bowl dry, and there wont be a problem when you go to restart it. When youre ready to ride, add fresh gas, and itll be fine.
If you have a battery tender, hook it up, if you dont, a couple of months wont hurt it.
Good luck with your back,

Old 07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Great information guys!

I was thinking of putting just over an oz of stabil in the tank and running it again for a little while to let it work through the system. Wouldn't this work?

Also

I have been running it periodically so the oil has gotten a chance to get hot and etc on a monthly basis. Just not ridden.

Do you think I really need a change of oil?

By the way the wolvie is still in new condition if that matters...

Thanks for the comments!

lowend5!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

well i would change the oil just because it has been sitting i dont know if oil sitting is bad or not but what could changing it hurt

Old 07-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If the motor doesnt have a load applied, like driving it, the oil really doesnt get hot enough to get the combustion by products out. Youre much beter off, to change the oil, put in a new filter, start it up to circulate it a bit, and then let it sit.

The stabil will work, if the gas is fresh, that you are adding the stabil to. If the gas is already old, and stale, stabil wont do anything for it.

The best way, is to drain it completely. Theres no steel , so there will be no rusting in the tank, lines or carb. And you get the added benifit of the float bowl being left dry. That way the carb circuits wont gum up. Its the constant evaporation and refilling of the float bowl, while a motor sits, that causes the internal circuits of the carb to gum up.

If you dont want to drain the gas, then at least turn the gas petcock to off, and run the motor til it dies, then the carb will be dry, and with the valve off, there wont be the evaporation and refilling going on.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies everyone!

lowend5

Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Hey everyone!

I drained the tank and dried out the carb/float bowl.

Next is the oil change...

Thanks for the input... I appreciate it!

lowend!