Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor troubles???? please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000 | 02:20 AM
|
Pro Rider

I have a raptor coming in November. I`ve heard about carbs blowing off, axles & a-arms bending? I dont ride as hard as some people do, but I dont want any problems. Yamaha hasen`t change hardly anything on the Banchee, warrior or blaster in 14 years is the raptor going to be the exception??? I really want to know what you think(raptor owners), because I can still get my money back. I have a 400ex but it is weak and I need more. I dont want to buy a old 2-stroke and work on it more than I ride it. From what I`ve seen the raptor is the perfect machine for me. I dont want any comments from anyone other than actual raptor owners, otherwise I would post this in the Honda section!!!! Thank you

Old 10-17-2000 | 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

I know you can hardly call these rare, but I have not had any Problems with mine, But they are having problems, so far it seems dealers are helping out, but if mine stays just like it is I could not have a complaint. Ive never ridden a better bike for general riding.

Old 10-17-2000 | 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Two bent axles, a bent wheel, a bent brake rotor, a flaky parking brake sensor that causes your Raptor to sputter terribly and the chain came off and ripped my C\S guard (which is plastic) from the motor (which is aluminum). But I am still in love. Just need to get my suspension tuned in.

Old 10-17-2000 | 11:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I felt the same way about the 400ex as you do. You will love the Raptor. My Raptor backfired through the carbs Sunday and blew them out of the intake tract. I probably have around 35-40 hours on the engine and will adjust the valves soon. I don't expect this too happen when the valves are adjusted correctly. I was pulled home once on the 400ex I had also. What I mean is no ATV is perfect (that I have had anyays) and little things happen from time to time.

Old 10-17-2000 | 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with YaMaRaPtoR. Mine has been perfect. The only complaint I have is that the front brakes are a little spongy for me, but I'm used to my streetbike which has stainless lines on it. So Stainless lines are already on order for the Raptor. Also, the gearing from first to second is too tall but I already ordered a 12 tooth front sprocket for that problem. I love it. Later
www.delphi.com/raptor660/start
Joe

Old 10-17-2000 | 07:31 PM
Range Rover

No problems here!!

I've had mine four feet in the air, covered with mud, in water over the tires, and four days in the sand. No bent axles, a-arms, wheels, or foreign matter sucked into the engine.

I'd buy another one in a minute!

Old 10-17-2000 | 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

The raptor is a "sweet" machine even though I have been through an engine in my short ownership period. I call it a Fluke... as I have not heard of anyone else having this problem. On the flip side I have a Banshee that is nearly 5 years old and all I have ever done to it is changed oil, mixed gas, adjusted the chain and changed tires about 5 times and it gets ridden daily. The two stroke myth is just that a myth. If you maintain your quad you will do all these things except mix gas anyway. Depending on where you ride and how you like to ride either machine is a GREAT choice. = )

Old 10-17-2000 | 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

my raptor runs awsome. no probs. i have had it back fire but my carbs are still intact. i think mine is running rich besides the idle mixture screw. but i cant find it or i would adjust it. have my new yamaha after market exhaust coming tomorrow. cant wait. i have cleared a 50 foot table top missed the downside and never bent any thing so i would like to know what them other guys are doing to break theres.

Old 10-17-2000 | 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Had mine Sept 5th one of the first. Had three problems all my fault. Bent axle, bent handlebars and a bent grabbar all bent on a massive tabletop that threw me crooked. I screwed up my back but the raptor lives on with a dura blue eliminator2+2, renthal bars, and PRM grabbar. There has been 8 quads between my Dad, brother, and I all have been Honda or Yamahas. Two best quads Ive owned were the 250r and the 400ex. After I heard rumors of the specs for the raptor I new it was the perfect bike for me. The Raptor is extemely impressive and have exceded my expectations. This thing pulls like my old 250r but with the ease and feel of a butterfly. Of course it will have areas of needed improvement like any quad. But I am honestly more satisfied with this machine then any other. Raptor420

Old 10-17-2000 | 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to a few exhaust guys (white bros.,FMF,Curtis Sparks,etc.) There all saying that the Raptor is set rich from the factory. They told me on all the ones they put the slip-ons on only one had to be re-jetted. So we'll see my FMF exhaust will be here on Friday. Later
www.delphi.com/raptor660/start

Quick Reply: Raptor troubles???? please!!!!