Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cpi, rocket or toomeys for drag pipe??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cpi, rocket or toomeys for drag pipe??????

i am debating whether to get cpi, rocket or toomeys for my drag bike. does anybody have some good info or reasons to get one over the other. i see that the cpi pipes on the dyno look to have great power for ported applications. by the way the cpi's are in-frame. the rockets seem to have a slight higher peak but the cpi's beat them everywhere else on the dyno run. please throw in your 2 cents. by the way i will be getting larger carbs.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

if you have a drag bike and use a full drag port..... go with cpi! you can call cpi with your engine and port specs and they will build a custom set for your motor!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toomey is a very good pipe.For a drag pipe,I'd either get cpi or shearer.Shearer is what I have on my banshee.It pulls very hard from mid range to top end.I've never tried cpi,but have seen some extremely fast banshees with them.To me the chrome is not all that great on the shearer pipes,but the added performance makes up for that.The cpi's might have better chrome.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned all three sets along with many others. Shearer's would be the best for drag racing. Rockets flat out suck. CPI's are best for all around.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard alot of guys on other forums go on and on about the rocket pipes.I've never seen a set with my own eyes except for pictures.To me,they are dog ugly.When you see most drag bikes that really fly, they won't have them.I've seen alot with CPI.I love the shearer pipes though.They helped alot.Well I switched to shearer pipes and alcohol at the same time.NOTE:if you do what I did at the same time(pipes and alcohol) you better have some really good clutches.Mine didn't last long.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlkyBurninX
I have owned all three sets along with many others. Shearer's would be the best for drag racing. Rockets flat out suck. CPI's are best for all around.
I can vouch for the CPI's.......and will never purchase a non-drag pipe the a Banshee. My only concern was the large stingers burning my legs while riding. After plenty of riding I have had no burns...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. The ONLY downside for me was actually getting the CPI pipes. No-one has them in stock (not even CPI), and if they do have them in stock, they run $100+ more. These are small companies that will tell you anything to get your money.....be very cautious. I purchased mine from www.gopartsdirect.com and was months getting them.
Gary

Old 08-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

I love the CPI out-of frame drag.... But they are a bit noisy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Ever thought about getting the silencers for them?

Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RDZ350
Ever thought about getting the silencers for them?
What??? And lose 2 hp???????
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My 4mm alky bike likes the inframe CPI's better than the out of frame drag pipes without silencers. The out of frame pipes seem to be more for all out top end. If I dont get perfect traction and shift a hair early then the out of frame pipes will "lull" for a split second before picking back up. The in frames make more midrange torque and are very forgiving for early shifting. They pull hard all the way through. This is on our track. If spinning wasnt an issue then I could maybe make the out of frames run a little better. With the in frame pipes Sat night my bike went 4.45 (with my wife driving it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], 4.47 for me).

Quick Reply: cpi, rocket or toomeys for drag pipe??????