Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizz top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 04:59 AM
|
Range Rover
Default grizz top end

i have 27 inch mudlites on my 05 grizzly and my grizz tops out at 52 mph. Is this normal? My machine is stock other than the stock muffler mod. I was wonderin how i can get more top end out of my grizz.Thanks for replies.

Old 08-01-2005 | 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default grizz top end

Thats about right. You just changed the over all gear ratio when you put those 27" tires on. But actually you are going alot faster then you think. My GPS says I'm going 61-62. I use to get 67 with the stocks on. But, yea mine says between 50 to 55 mph depending on what kind of surface I'm on. I got 27" mudlites on too!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2005 | 02:22 PM
|
Range Rover
Default grizz top end

if i get the power kit from higlifters would i get anymore top end?

Old 08-01-2005 | 03:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default grizz top end

Yea of course, but dont let the speedo get you down. It's like 10 to 11mph off now with the gear reduction. You really only lost 5 to 6mph to the wheels.

Getting the power kit will do wonders for your machine, it will be a whole new machine! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2005 | 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

The larger tires acctually make it much closer to reality. You did lose some top end, but it is mostly due to the friction of the new tires. Air them up to around 6 or 7 psi and then run them and see if it goes a little faster. I would go with the power kit though. It is worth it.

Old 08-01-2005 | 06:20 PM
|
Range Rover
Default grizz top end

did u feel any diff with ur 175 mainjet rather than the jet that comes with the power kit? Wats ur top speed and wat mods do u have?

Old 08-01-2005 | 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default grizz top end

Originally posted by: batmanacw
The larger tires acctually make it much closer to reality. You did lose some top end, but it is mostly due to the friction of the new tires. Air them up to around 6 or 7 psi and then run them and see if it goes a little faster. I would go with the power kit though. It is worth it.
This is why I dont come to this place very often.

Man are you kidding me. You are going to actually say that the loss is from the "Friction of new tires"??? So your saying that if I went from a 25" tire to a 27" tire that the reason my speedo is off because of friction!

Its the total diameter of the wheel that changes the final gear ratio. Even though in theory the Grizzly should have a higher MPH but the rotating mass is more as well and the Grizzly doesn't make enough power to go any faster. It actually slows down.

Now with Raxxor asking about the power kit if its a good idea? YES! Because the grizzly will make more power and will probably get back to stock speed if not faster depending on the power made by the kit.

Old 08-01-2005 | 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

Thats a low figure. I could still get the speedo to 58 with 27" claws (much heavier than mudlites and a slight bit taller too). Even before without the pipe. Pipe just helps it get there quicker and hold better on inclines. I'm with the guy about it being closer to reality. My speedometer is about 5mph higher than a GPS with stock tires. The Big tires bring it closer to what its really going.

As far as going faster with taller tires, think of it this way. If you can turn the axles at the same speed, you will cover more ground with a taller tire than with a shorter one, hence moving faster. One way I like to think of it is take say a baseball and a softball. Mark a spot on each. Roll it over on the ground to where the sphere makes one exact revolution. Mark off the distance that it covered with one revolution. The softball covered more ground. Now imagine an axle through the middle of each. If you had the power to turn that axle at the exact same speed, you would cover more distance over the same time with the larger diameter.

Hell I could be wrong too, but its always made sense to me that way.

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

Iowagrizz660, How old are you kid? Are you still in high school?
If the tires were slicks, how fast would the machine go? Odviously you would be turning them around the same rpm. Your actual top speed would be slightly faster, as Andy correctly pointed out. The slicks would give a lot less resistence and the machine would roll much better.
The mudlites have an aggresive tread pattern that grips in mud and dirt much better than slicks. The trade off is the increase in rolling resistence CAUSED BY FRICTION. The increase in resistence created by the tread pattern contributes to the perceived loss of power. If you run 25" vamps against 25" stock tires, which one will sustain a higher top speed? This is assuming that they are both aired to the same psi.
My dirt devils allow me to hit 64 to 65 with 4 psi and 66 or 67 with 7 psi. It kind of depends on the day.
Keep up kid. I don't want to have to keep explaining the easy stuff.

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

Raxxor, I have major airbox mods to get to that 175 dyno jet main. Until you do something similar, use the recommended jet in the kit. Most mudders don't want to install 12 uni vents in there airbox lid because they are submerging it all the time. I have a clutch kit with lighter (14 gram) weights, 12 uni vents in the airbox lid, K&N filter, Dyno jet kit (175 main), and various other stuff that doesn't really matter. My griz can stand on its hind legs with only my thumb to assist. It is set up for fast trails and medium duty mud (2 ft. or less).
Have you ever drown your belt housing? If you have, it can put garbage into the clutch weights and stop them from fully closing the primary sheave and limit your top speed. That is something you should check to see if that is what is limiting your top end.

Quick Reply: grizz top end