Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Raptor +2 A-arm help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Raptor +2 A-arm help

hey all! I just got a set of +2 a-arms on my raptor. When i went to put my new shocks on it the lower a-arm brackets are made of thicker metal and the stock bolt goes though them but the self-locking nut dosent thread on all the way. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did the nut fall off the bolt or was it ok? If i need to get a new longer bolt where do i get those at? I have looked all over at harware stores and cant find a bolt like the stock one. Any help would be great!

Old 08-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

First off...you want to make sure the bolt is long enough so it goes all the way through the nut. Vibration will cause the nut to come loose if the bolt isn't through to the Nylon on the nut. Thats the last thing you want to happen when landing a big jump or going wide open through any terrain.

Instead of a hardware store, try a Napa Auto Parts store. They are usually good about stocking a good selection of nuts and bolts. We have a place here locally called Nutty Bolts that specializes in odd or irregular nuts and bolts. To be sure about strength, make sure the replacement bolt you buy is a Grade 8 or higher.

If the bolt is a little longer than you need, thats fine. As long as the bolt goes all the way through the Nylon nut.....

I found a website for Nuts and Bolts....check it out....measure your bolt and look for one a little longer...

http://store.nutsandbolts.com

Click on "metric" on the list to the left......My Service Manual isn't next to me, so I can't look up the bolt size for the lower A-Arm....I'll look it up and get back to you...

You have to place a $20. minimum for orders at this site...if you don't want to do that, at least you can find the size you need as a reference when you check auto parts stores......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks alot for the help. Ya the nut dosen't thread all the way on to the bolt. I'd say it only goes on about halfway so thats no good. I appricate the help. Thanks Brad

Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

what a-arms did you purchase, and are you running the stock shocks?

Old 08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

armadillo +2 with works shocks for +2 a-arms