Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 won't start

You mean from the dealer?

How long have you had the bike?

Old 08-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah. All I did to the bike after I bought it was lower it. I got it in November and haven't ridden the bike much at all. Still looks new ('cept for the almost severed rear fender).

Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, it could be the carbs. If the monkey mechanic did take the time to ensure the carbs were on right, they pop off. If this it, you will have to pull the front plastic and the tank to get them seated again.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Pull the carbs, then the bowls, then the floats and clean the fuel circuit .

Old 08-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

The other day I had a similar problem, but I heard air puffing near the head. I look and saw a tiny slice in my intake boot from the left carb to the head. The bike reacted similarly to yours, so based on the info gathered so far, the carbs probably seperated from the boots. Depending on where your screws are for the boots, you may not have to take the plastic off.

Mine are facing in directions so I can reach them with a screwdriver or long t-handle allen head without removing anything. If you simply loosen all the mounting screws (6 total) from front to back, you can gentle wrestle with the carbs to get everything lined up, then snug them up again. Once you make sure they are all lined up and tight, try again. If that doesn't work, you need to look into something else.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the carbs are on the boots you probably need to take the carbs off and clean them.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Drain out all of the gas to the last drop and put fresh gas in. Then change your spark plug. This will usually fix the problem. Post back on what you find.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

this may help, Im dealing with a very similar problem right now.
I just messed with choke/starter cable.
Any little touch of cable kills my engine, by flooding it.
I also had big trobule starting it, and ocasional puff from tail pipe.
Check your choke/starter cable, it might be stuck in open position.
GL

Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im going threw pretty much the same situation. my 01 raptor sat for a year. I put fresh gas in it, and yup,
i would barely start, ran like crap with full choke. if you give it gas it would die. if you have full choke on it would idle.
So i pulled the tank off, sloshed fresh gas around and dumped out a slight varnish gum. Then pulled the carbs, used carb cleaner
inside and out. the butterflys now move much better. the needle had some small deposits, and slight gum in the boals.
it was not that bad IMO. Any ways, got it back together. it fires right up. Runs strong with a slight choke. idle is a little high. but
its going. im gona run it for a bit, with the choke on and see if it clears up. my only issue with it right now, is needing a little choke
for it to run properly.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard from the head mechanic at my local Yamaha dealer that the ethanol in the gas is making the floats in the carbs stick. The float in the left carb on my Raptor stuck closed. I took the carbs apart, cleaned them out, and sprayed WD40 on the needle and seats. Started right up and runs fine. I am now adding Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel, and I think that will prevent further problems. [My Raptor 80 was acting up, and it seems to have helped just by adding MMO to the fuel]
Old Dawg

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 won't start