Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A few Timberwolf Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Timberwolf Questions

I just got a 98 Timberwolf 250. I've ordered the Clymer book, but I have a few questions until the book comes in:

Is there an oil filter and/or fuel filter somewhere?

I siphoned the old gas out of the tank and it runs much better now on good gas. I replaced the air filter since mice had pretty much eaten the old one. It still needs about 1/2 choke to start and idle without dying, so I guess there is a fuel restriction somewhere. I'm guessing the carb.

How much (and what type) of oil does this thing need?

The oil in it when I got it was pretty dark and a little bit below the bottom line on the dipstick so I added a quart of 10/30. That brought it back up to the top line, but I know I need to change it all out soon.

Rear-end lubricant:

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm guessing it could also stand to be changed. What kind of lube in there?

I've searched under "Timberwolf" on this forum and have read through all of the posts. I guess the brakes are the main problem with these machines. I haven't ridden it much, but so far it seems alright for a small quad. The 4x4 works great on the muddy hills and holes I've had it in and it seems to have decent low-end power.

Any maintanance tips/cautions would be appreciated!

Thanks, RC

Old 08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Timberwolf Questions

Yes there is a oil filter its on the same side as the dip stick its a little round cover three screws in it oil use 20/50 or 40 in the summer and 10/30 or 40winter go to www.rockymountainatv.com use yamalube ive used it for many years in all mt atvs which included a 96 timberwolf its worth the extra money >DONT< use car oil you can but dont lol as for the carb fill your tank full of fresh gas and buy some stp carb cleaner dump all in drive her around give it time to work Rear end lube just use any good name brand gear oil SAE 80 GL-4" HYPOID GEAR OIL can be bought at any part store as for oil capicty it holds 1.9qt if you change the oil filter 1.6 if you dont AND THE REAR END JUST FILL IT TILL SHE RUN OVER!!!!!! And whille you at it put a new spark plug in use NGK d7ea is the number or use a nippondenso x22es-u these plugs work best in it anyways if I can help anymore let me know I know the timberwolf from top to bottom they are great atvs decent power and size i had TONZ of fun on mine.Good luck and rideing to you ~~~JEREMY