Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your waiting until next year anyway....watch for Yamaha to upgrade the Wolverine motor to 400cc. There won't be another 4WD that could even come close.

Old 10-23-2000, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

What good is having a fast 4 wheel drive machine that you have to work on after every ride.........get a Wolverine....ITS A YAMAHA!!

Old 10-23-2000, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

It's funny how nobody ever agrees on anything in here...except for not agreeing!

LOL

Old 10-24-2000, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

my riding buddy had a wolverine sold it and boughta a sc500. he said, and i quote:

"I wish i would have kept the wolverine. I mean, dont get me wrong, the scrambler is the fastest machine i have ever ridden but its a pig! I could whip the wolverine around the tight trails, but in the open straights the wolvie couldn't hold a candle to the scrambler."

He later wrecked the scrambler bad and bought a dirt bike. He still wishes he still had the wolverine. Only problem he had was the front wheel barings on it. it ate the damn things.

He has ALOT of trouble with the tranny on the scrambler. we never could quite figure it out. The belt never slipped but the tranny made a funny grinding/whining noise from time to time.

He tried to CC race the scrambler one time and the tranny LOCKED up on him about half way through. His fast lap was fast enough to get in DirtWheels i think. I don't remeber the month or anything. I don't know if he would want me to post his name or not so i wont.

Basically they both are fine machines. It'll just come down to personal preferance

Old 10-24-2000, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Dirtpig,
Do you really think that Polaris owners have to work on their bikes after every ride? There are many people with Polaris's that have in excess of 5000 miles that have not worked on anything but the brakes and belt. Both of which are wear and tear items.
Greg

Old 10-24-2000, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Shepp, I am not going to say that I agree that the wolverine would be the fastest 4X4 around if they made it a 400; however, if they made it a 400 with a 2WD/4WD switch, slightly lower geared, and about 2" wider, with 2" more travel in the suspension, AND a manual clutch, I would probably go buy one, and I have to say it would be hard to beat on the trails.

Greg

Old 10-25-2000, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

no way...
I have a 99 wolverine, and the scrambler is quite a bit faster than mine.

I love my my bike though.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with four other Polaris' besides mine. I just had to replace my front left bearings. Mine is a 99. I ride with a 95, 99, 2000, and another 99. We have had zero problems with our quads. The guy with the 95 just replaced his first belt from normal wear and tear.

One note: the autoclutch is a miserable setup for trailriding. Or anything for that matter. Just my opinion.

Old 10-25-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

I really don't think is faster than a scrambler. I drag raced a friend with his 400 scrambler (I have a bone stock banshee) and it was real close...OK, it was on hard sand so the grip wasn't excellent (maybe that's why I was faster with the stock pipes), but I was just a bit in front...Have you ever seen a wolverine as fast as a shee? I didn't. Maybe my dream wolv would (raptor engine in wolv chassis...surprised no one has don it yet).

To answer to the difficult choice...I only rode my pal's scrambler (400, not 500), but I already found it heavy, and more a touring machine than a sports quad, mainly because I'm not confortable on it standing still, and because the footpegs are very distant (with the belt, it's quite large). The suspension (especially front) did have some trouble when riding fast in bumps.
For the belt, we didn't ride that often yet, but he never seemed to have a problem with it (on the scrambler).
Remember that all my comparisons are with the banshee I ride, not a wolv.

Old 10-25-2000, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Completely disagree with the autoclutch being bad for trail riding statement. If you install a roller clutch and know how to tune the front and rear clutches correctly, the auto is excellent for trails and unquestionably better for hillclimbing. I looked at a Wolvering before I bought my Scrambler and it just didn't compare. The Scrambler is faster, has true 4WD, switchable 4WD, the auto is tunable and its never in the wrong gear.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler 4x4