Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to get a sportier 4x4 next spring and told msyself that I won't let shifting limit my options , but looking around i realize the Wolverine is really the only competition to the Scrambler, anyone road with a Scrambler? now i know there is a 500 liquid vs a 350, full time 4x4 vs limited slip, but the Wolverine is way lighter and allot cheaper. any help would be great thanks.

Old 10-19-2000, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

the scrambler isnt a limited slip is it? it has true 4wd, or you can use just two wheel drive

Old 10-19-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

You can say you rode a 500 Scambler.Imagine you bike 137 lbs lighter with 20% more power and you have a Scambler.All I know about the Wolverine is goes a good jog pace faster than 55mph ,at least the one that passed me did.

Old 10-20-2000, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have friends with both..and the Scrambler 500 absolutly Kills it in any drag race, rough or flat..it has so much power. I also have a friend with a 400ex and i'll bet that scrambler doesnt get beat all that bad by the lightweight Ex either. Its pretty quick. Does alright for the first few yards wiht the Ds . Its a good bike, i thik it is probably better then the wolverine in most situations.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

Well my 2 cents aren't probably won't be worth much but here goes.

I haven't road with a 500, but a 400 I did. I even rode it, yes it's a 2 stroke so this isn't apples to apples, but I will say, I couldn't stay with it from the start or top end, it just walked away. Not shifting is weird, but the darn thing has to wind out so much to even move. I'm not one to say they are all junk and My Wolverine is superior to all. Their suspension felt much more comfortable, and they have selectable 4 wheel drive. But you could never sell me on the belt. At least my buds has ate two belts this year. Once right after he took it off the truck to go riding with us, so an 20 miles and an hour later we were ready to ride again. Another time, a month later he stuck it in some mud, he wasn't going anywhere, just spinning. He rapped it out a couple times but I ended up pulling him out. Later that day, the belt was gone again. The dealer asked him if he had got it stuck, and yes he did. They told him that it was notorious, next time just pull it out, that eats the belt rather quickly.

The Wolv isn't without it's faults though. Manual clutch would be great, as well as a 6th gear. 50 cc, mostly down low would be a definate advantage too. I thought that full time 4 wheel would be a pain, but actually, I can kick out the back alot better than I thought I ever would. The parking brake sucks rocks as well. Other than those minor whines, I love my bike. Oh ya, the rear axle is soft and bends easily and it needs grease zurts on the front end components.

My 2 cents, hope it helps.

Old 10-20-2000, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Tough question there...try both since they are so different. Thats all I can say.(which isn't worth much...LOL)

Old 10-20-2000, 06:29 AM
Range Rover

As much as I hate to say it, the Wolverine can't touch the scrambler for speed. I had my 96' Wolv out on a poker run a few months back, and I had the only wolverine, and there was one scrambler 400 4x4 in the pack. He immediatly came after me to changange me. I couldn't touch him. But all in all, I'd say the wolv is a better bike. I asked the guy what he thought of his Scrambler, and he said it's almost too fast for the woods. He also said it was breaking down all the time. I asked him what year it was. Judging by the shape it was in, I guessed around a '95.... he said it was a '99. He said he'd never buy another polaris again, and in fact, he was looking into getting a Wolverine.

Old 10-20-2000, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of 4x4 system does the scrambler have if it isn't limited-slip??....it must be something like "torque-sensing limited-slip"...does anyone know??

Old 10-20-2000, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

The scrambler has the same engine as in the sportsman 500 H.O. thats serious power!!!
The wolverine has the least amount of power in it's class and thats a 350.
If you want to go more places I'd choose the scrambler, If you want to save money buy the wolverine.
And who cares how the true 4 wheel drive works on the polaris the fact is it works thats why the polaris atv,s can handle tuff obsticles.PERIOD.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 10-20-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

ATV MAN,

On the Scrambler and all other 4x4 Polari the front wheels engage when the rear slips 1/5 of a turn. Very effective. I cannot even tell usually when in engages. It's very smooth and one of the best 4x4 systems available today on a quad. Plus if you don't want it, you just push a button and the Scrambler stays in 2x4...best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler 4x4