Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New "to me" 2004 Wolverine - Pics & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005 | 02:09 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default New "to me" 2004 Wolverine - Pics & Questions

Just brought it home the other day and am seriously having fun on it. I have never ridden a quad. I had a trike when I was 15 and have been riding street bikes for years but this is my first quad. I have been wanting a Wolverine for a long time, but couldn't justify getting one until now. I was a bit concerned that it would not be a good choice to plow with, but from what I understand from forum members, it plows just fine.
Here's a couple of pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...bibm/wolv2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...bibm/wolv1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...olvinwater.jpg

Mod questions??

Does the air filter, jet kit, exhaust make much of a notable difference in power? I have long since abandoned the notion of upgrading for the sake of upgrading. I have a couple of bone stock bikes to prove it. Plus I like that it's quiet. If I do get an exhaust, could someone recommend a quiet one for me?
I would like to get a CV and undercarraige bash plates. And perhaps some brush guards and 2x4 conversion.
Is the WARN 2x4 kit the only 2x4 kit I should consider? Will the Wolverine wheelie in 2x4 mode?

That's it for now, thanks

Ed

Old 09-12-2005 | 02:48 PM
Range Rover

well as for mods,the pipe,filter,jet kit do make a maybe 10%difference but only when used together,the warn 424 works really good makes the bike feel like a sport bike,i have all these mods and can say best bang for the buck is the warn,then the pipe,jetkit/filter.there are some cheap mods you can do to the stock muffler i think and buy the filter jet kit.also i dont know why but my bike is way faster with the 25 inch tires now,i think it changed the gearing to a more favorable ratio that allows you to stay in the wolvs torque range longer.hope this helps what do you think of the new wolv?

Old 09-12-2005 | 02:56 PM
Range Rover

forgot. no the wolv does not truely wheelie even with all the additional motor work i have done,it will wheelie if you gas it right and pull up on it or jump a little. the warn is the best kitfor 2 to 4,and the wolv will plow but its not its strong point due to its lack of a low gear(25" tires are the max) and not any durability issues.

Old 09-12-2005 | 03:03 PM
|
Trailblazer

I should have mentioned it, but it did come with Titan 389 tires all around. Not sure what it did to the power curve as I have nothing to compare it to. So far I'm in love with this thing, it's incredible what this it can get into and out of. The WARN is about 300 beans no?

Originally posted by: todster
well as for mods,the pipe,filter,jet kit do make a maybe 10%difference but only when used together,the warn 424 works really good makes the bike feel like a sport bike,i have all these mods and can say best bang for the buck is the warn,then the pipe,jetkit/filter.there are some cheap mods you can do to the stock muffler i think and buy the filter jet kit.also i dont know why but my bike is way faster with the 25 inch tires now,i think it changed the gearing to a more favorable ratio that allows you to stay in the wolvs torque range longer.hope this helps what do you think of the new wolv?

Old 09-12-2005 | 03:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

Damn, is it because it lacks the power? I thought it was because all 4 wheels grabed. I used to have a Yamaha DR225 trike back in 85 which I could wheelie for as long as you gave me space. I imagined quads would be more difficult due to the added weight, but still thought they could.

Originally posted by: todster
forgot. no the wolv does not truely wheelie .

Old 09-12-2005 | 03:25 PM
Range Rover

well,it lacks power in the very low rpms but pours it on in the mid and high end.its torque that gives you whellies and the wolv not to say is weak,because its definataly a power house for a 350cc but its just not going to do it ,mine is jetted, ported,bored,and tuned and it smokes most 500cc but i can only whellie by kinda boucing it on something and gasing it.its a 4wd machine with lots of weight in the mid to front unlike sport bikes with no wieght up front .and if it did whellie combined with all the power mine produces,you would most likly collide with a tree when you gunned it on a corner in the trails. hey look p speeddemon,95wolv,and thumper they could give you some good mods.i love mine and now that i saw the eyesore they made out of the 2006,i might send my out to have it stroked,but thats only if i loose a drag which hasent happened yet!

Old 09-13-2005 | 07:07 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I got my very first "mod"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4573660754

Going for the 2x4 warn kit next

Old 09-13-2005 | 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me get the WARN 424, the single best mod ever. Way more top speed, funner to drive but a little less stable (my wife always rides it in 4x4, she feels safer). BTW I mounted my switch for the warn, just under the right handlebar using an exsiting screw that holds the plastic in place.

As for the K&N filter it was a big waste of monie, no power gains.

Old 09-13-2005 | 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the reason the wolvy can't wheelie very good is mostly due to the weight balance. It has the same motor as the warrior, which also isn't a great wheelie machine from the motor being so far forward in the frame, plus the wolvy has racks and a front differential to add to the front end weight. as for an aftermarket exhaust that's quiet- none of them will be as quiet as the stock exhaust, so if sound is an issue you should probably keep the stocker on there

Old 09-14-2005 | 09:57 AM
|
Trailblazer

Ok, you guys talked me into getting the Warn 424. Now, where's a good place to buy it? I found a guy on EBay that sells them for $215 new, with free shipping. Is this the best price out there?

Quick Reply: New "to me" 2004 Wolverine - Pics & Questions