Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

97 warrior firing problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 warrior firing problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hello, I have a 97 warrior, I bought it about 3 months ago and have only put around 10 hours riding time on it, if that. My problem began the day i brought it home. I rode for about 1 hour and parked it to spray the mud off, got it all sprayed off and tried to start it and all it did was cranked. Tested to see if the spark plug was getting spark and it wasn't. So I replaced the CDI box, cause thats what someone told be was bad. Well it wasn't!!!! Pulled the stator out and the magneto was broken. Replaced that and it fired right up. Well a few hours and a few weeks later, was riding everything going good, got off of it took a break. Went out that night ot put it in the garage, and guess what NO FIRE!!! doing the same thing just cranking will not even atempt to fire. So the first thing i did was check the stator and it looks good, checked the ignition coil, CDI box and they are both good. I have went through all the wiring to make sure there are no burnt wires or unpluged wires, checked the fuses and everything seems to be ok. Will someone please help me out here. I am clueless now, and ready to push it in my pond!!! thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you checked the kill switch?
How were you checking for spark? Pull the plug out, hook up the wire, ground the plug, and crank it over? And you saw no spark?
Sounded like the first problem was gonna be water in the connectors, because it had an issue after washing. You might want to look over the connectors for being loose or having water or mud in them. Then when you snap them back together, put some dieelectric grease in them .
When you checked the soil and stator, im asuming you ohm checked them? Howd you check the cdi? I wasnt aware of a way to do that.
Did you also check the pick up coil resistance?
Do you have a service manual for this quad? Theres a troubleshooting guide in the yamaha one.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I have checked the kill switch. Its not that. and after I washed it and replaced the cdi and the stator i got about 8 hours of riding in on it. and now it is doing the same thing again. no spark. I have went through all the plugs, and checked the plug by grounding it and cranking it. and there is no spark at all.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

What about the resistor built into the spark plug boot?

Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have changed the end where the spark plugs in at. Is the resistor separate from that?

Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you get my pm?

Old 09-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you replace all the main parts like the cdi, try replacing the starter solenoid, and also the solenoids placed in the back, the green and white boxes....