Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Homemade head porting on Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade head porting on Raptor

Hi, I plan on porting and polishing my raptor 660r head myself with an air compressor tool and adding a Hotcams stage 2 cam and spring kit and kibblewhite 1mm over valves, in other words the works. I am keeping it 660 cc's. I would like to know where I can get a good porting and polishing kit or tools that would be good for a raptor head and would fit on a 1/4 collet rotary air tool which I have, in other words I need the grinding bits, stones etc. Does anybody have any advice on this project, I am having an engine shop grind the valve seats but thats it, I am doing everything else myself. Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a motorcycle porting kit clicky here and there's a dealer or on-line locator on the site.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

That looks like a good kit, just be careful and dont remove too much or you'll hit a water jacket. Hope you know what your doing cuz heads arent cheap.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

I don't think I'd attempt that myself, good luck.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Um not trying to be a jerk or any thing. Just 200 hundred now will save you alot of money later.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not trying to be a jerk either but the reputable cycle shops I have talked to who port raptor heads charge near $450 not $200 believe me I've done the research. If I do this it will be well thought out and researched and done with the proper tools. Thanks anyway though.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

heres a real tip,have the machine shop that is going to cut your seats run a fly cutter down the bowls,20min of his time will save you tons!blend the bowls with a SAND PAPER ROLL,you will be surprised how much they will remove,clean up the ports will a paper roll,and polish with a peice of scotch brite on a sloted anvil....do all this and you will have a better port job then SOME big name builders do!

Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was told that madracing did head porting for 250 bucks. Its probably not the most elaborate port job but if you havent checked there it might be worth a shot. Of course you're talking to a guy that spent close to 4x that for his porting so I guess I dont have quite the same attitude towards it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

ive seen a few high dollar builders port work,and more importantly valve jobs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] seems like most of the good ones dont have to do much advertising,and most of the good ones dont know much about 2-strokes either! and dont even get me started on what they charge for valves.....i know what cost is if you have the hook up,its FAR from the 55-65 bucks each they charge,more like south of 20 bucks! call a ferrea dealer that doesnt have squat to do with quads and ask how much

Old 09-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Not to sound like a snot...but why are you wasting your money on on 1 over valves. The stock size works perfect. JMO.

Quick Reply: Homemade head porting on Raptor