Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor timing chain guide/case

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor timing chain guide/case

I just purchased a 2004 raptor and I had to split the cases apart to remove foreign debris (metal) from inside the case that locked my oil pump up and broke the gear on my clutch basket. After I removed the cam I noticed that the front timing chain guide felt real loose and then realized that I could just pull it right out so I did, and during removal I also noticed that the part of it with the round niples sticking out which is the wider end was pointing toward the crank and the narrow end up. After reviewing the service manual it looks like it was in there upside down. In my service manual it looks like the round niples point upward and narrow end goes down. Is this correct? Also the curved metal piece which is part of the case that it looks like the front timing chain guide would sit in is broke off which was causing the foreign debris (service manual doesnt show a good pic of this either so correct me if thats wrong). Can the case be repaired or do I need a new one? Any info is appreciated.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor timing chain guide/case

Originally posted by: CHEVYTECH25
I just purchased a 2004 raptor and I had to split the cases apart to remove foreign debris (metal) from inside the case that locked my oil pump up and broke the gear on my clutch basket. After I removed the cam I noticed that the front timing chain guide felt real loose and then realized that I could just pull it right out so I did, and during removal I also noticed that the part of it with the round niples sticking out which is the wider end was pointing toward the crank and the narrow end up. After reviewing the service manual it looks like it was in there upside down. In my service manual it looks like the round niples point upward and narrow end goes down. Is this correct? Also the curved metal piece which is part of the case that it looks like the front timing chain guide would sit in is broke off which was causing the foreign debris (service manual doesnt show a good pic of this either so correct me if thats wrong). Can the case be repaired or do I need a new one? Any info is appreciated..
The front timing chain guide sits in from the top....as your manual states. Those nipples sit in slots in the block. If it was in upside down then it was apparantly installed that way. Very odd situation you have there. A good aluminum welder/fab guy may be able to take care of that. Got any pics?