Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Acetone to raise gas milliage in car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetone to raise gas milliage in car

or 30 cents a gallon for $3/gallon gas that you'd save.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

I put 5 oz. in my 17 gallon tank in the commuter car last night. We will see what happens after a couple of trips to work. I will let you guys know how it works.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Me too...put 4oz (15 gal tank) in my 1990 Lumina 3.1L ......... we'll see....

Old 10-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

not sure about cars, but for trucks adding horsepower increases the gas milage...because it takes less stress to sit at a certain speed

Old 10-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my results were with my truck...1997 chevy 1/2 ton 4.3.

I don't think you guys putting 4 and 5 oz in you tanks are going to notice any measurable results...

If you put a quart in there then you might.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

I call B.S.

The whole idea of obtaining this level of gain could not be possible by such an easy solution. If it were the case, than auto manufactures would require its' use and they would raise their estimated MPG on the sticker. They do have government standards to meet concerning minimum MPG on every vehicle.

People sure do like to believe anything that sounds too good to be true. Suckers born every day.

Looks to me like the real reason for the website linked is to sell that POS ScanGauge

Old 10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I don't understand why people are messing around with acetone to "try" to bring up their mileage. Why not go with the Holy Grail of kits on this web site and go with the "run your engine on water kit". Why mess around with a crumby 35% increase when you can go with 0 gasoline?!!!!

Look; in all seriousness, if you want to get better mileage in your car or truck I've got a big tip for you.............................and it really works
#1 Slow the hell down!!!!!! (Yes, it really does make that much difference)
#2 keep your tires inflated to max inflation rate on the tires.

The more you do the above tips the more fuel you will have to burn in your quad, bike, race car or whatever your hobby is.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

This subject keeps popping up...like a turd that won't flush...

Yes, biodiesels are better in the HC dept (of which diesel is already better than gasoline), however they do have higher NOx. This is an issue with all HC fuels (including gas). The better mileage and lower HC levels, the NOx always seems to go up. Has to do with the heating the nitrogen in the ambient air goes through in the combustion process.

Biodiesel is actually broken down in to several types:

1) WVO. Waste Veg. Oil. This is what most people know about. Basically you process it down. You can just do a minimal processing where you get rid of the garbage (french fry parts, and the more solid fats. Or you can really process it and do a full transesterification (I can't pronounce it, please don't expect me to actually spell it right) where you work with the fatty acids. Lye is used to grab the free fatty acids and the methonal is used as a catalyst, and then can be recovered through distilation (heating the fuel just past the methonal boiling point (like 115F, IIRC) and then decanting that. It can be resused some.

2) Most of the commercial BXX(X) products (B20-B100) are a mixture of that percentage of bio with regular old dino diesel. You can also make this yourself from virgin oil stocks. Using non-food grade oils. Generally I think they use rapeseed. Different oils work better. You go through the same transesterification process as above.

3) SVO. Just filtered WVO. Requires a lot of fuel system (and cooling system) modifications.

Bio is a great degreaser. If you convert an existing engine, be prepared with extra fuel filters. It will clean your fuel system very well. It also has better lubricant properties and people report the engines get a little better mileage and run a little quieter.

Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction, might take issues with you processing fuels in your house. Methonal would be a Class I Division 1 substance, and any electrical equipment in the area would be required to be explosion proof. Where I live, the neighbors would probably think one was running a meth lab.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction, might take issues with you processing fuels in your house. Methonal would be a Class I Division 1 substance, and any electrical equipment in the area would be required to be explosion proof. Where I live, the neighbors would probably think one was running a meth lab.
Don't forget about about seals in conduit within 10' boundries between different classes and unclassified locations.LOL You sound like you may be an electrician too?
It would be very hard to convert any portion of your home to class1 division1. Best bet would be garage, then many other requirements besides electrical.