Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

TECH QUESTIONS NEED HELP FAST

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor and blaster help

I have two questions that I really need answered to get ready for dune season. I got a blaster and I just need to change up one main jet size going from tucson to glamis right?

And for the raptor....

It's got spark, very low compression and i was thinking that it would be gaskets but the guy at the shop said our 2001 raptor needed a whole new piston? Is it just me or does thast sound like bs. We have sent our machines to this shop 2-3 times and they have done nothing but mess it up. Everything basic besides gaskets are fine.

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default TECH QUESTIONS NEED HELP FAST

It is possible that you need a new piston. I would say near 5 years out of a piston is pretty good, depending on how much you ride and how hard you ride.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you know the gaskets are bad and arent sealing then you should know you're not going to get a good compression reading or a very good running atv. The gaskets need to be replaced if they are bad and then you can do a compression check, or just replace rings or maybe the whole piston while its apart.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure if your shop would be aware that you will get a low compression reading on the raptor due to the decompression setup. You can loosen the lhs exhaust valve adjustment and then test compression for a true reading.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

did the quad ever loose a water pump or get hot?

I'd say who cares...replace the piston while you have it appart...I know money doesn't grow on trees, but it will likely save you money down the road

Old 10-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is it the original piston in the raptor? Have you adjusted the valves lately? The intakes will tighten up and cause problems.

I think the rule of thumb for jetting is 1 jet size for 1200' or so, you may want to go 2 bigger if it was jetted for hotter temps and it's cooling down some.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptorgav
Not sure if your shop would be aware that you will get a low compression reading on the raptor due to the decompression setup. You can loosen the lhs exhaust valve adjustment and then test compression for a true reading.
I believe you're looking for around 132 psi or so for a stock piston with the decomp mechanism. Someone feel free to correct me if they have better info.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

the gaskets are ok, but I believe it is just the rings that need to be replaced. I believe i know what the problem is now. And it if doesnt work then oh well. I'll just go with a high compression piston. But we are not doing so well with the cash so I really don't wanna have to spend more money then I have to. But I think this shop is trying to rup me off. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

O WAIT SORRY.

What aboutt eh jetting for the blaster??

Old 10-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
....I think the rule of thumb for jetting is 1 jet size for 1200' or so, you may want to go 2 bigger if it was jetted for hotter temps and it's cooling down some.
Is this true? Because I looked up how much of an elevation change it was, and it said that Tucson was 2584ft and Glamis is 300. So that would be 2 main jet sizes but I believe someone was telling me that I should go only one main jet size. I just want to be sure though

Quick Reply: TECH QUESTIONS NEED HELP FAST