Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

twist throttle VS thumb throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle VS thumb throttle

Which do you guys perfer, and what are the downs of having one over the other. My freind has a V 700 with twist throttles and the hardest thing for me with it are doing Wheelies. which is better for racing, like MX, dune, and trail riding?

Old 10-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

This is a great question, you'll probebly get alot of responce. I have always installed twist throttles on my quads but I'll tell you this, I've gotten myself in quite a bit of trouble with them. If i'm going all out and get in a position where i'm holding on for dear life, a few times I've found it real hard to get off the gas and man, big prob's. I'm just starting a build on a new Raptor and this time I'll stick to the thumb. My suggestion would be in Dunes and Open Country riding, twists are great, but in MX/woods/trail riding, I'd suggest sticking with the twist. But heck, my belief has alway been I'm better at riding a motorcycle then i am a snowmobile, so we'll see how long the thumb throttle accually stay's on, Later, Putt

Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

sorry, I'm meant thumb throttle when it comes to trail riding, Putt

Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

The thumb throttle makes your thumb cramp up on a long ride. But , it's a lot safer on the trails when you may be in a precarious situation. You can let off without letting go.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. WOW. That was a very nice answer to my question!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I always like thumb because I could whack it wide open instantly at will and work it better in the corners. Then I got stuck with a twist and it didnt really bother me except in corners where I couldnt work it nearly as well to get the rear end to slide without losing control. Needless to say paired with a powerband that got me in trouble a few times.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has a crotch rocket and whenever i rev it, the throttle gets stuck. Is that just a common thing with twist throttles or is it something with my DAD's?

Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

I've been dirtbiking for 10 years and I can tell you this. I like twist throttle a lot better than thumb throttle. I've never got in any "hairy" situations with the twist. They never stick. Thumb throttle your thumb starts to cramp up. If your twist throttle is sticking then I recommend taking it apart and cleaning it. Or buying a new assembly from denniskirk.com or something.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TrikeMan05
I've been dirtbiking for 10 years and I can tell you this. I like twist throttle a lot better than thumb throttle. I've never got in any "hairy" situations with the twist. They never stick. Thumb throttle your thumb starts to cramp up. If your twist throttle is sticking then I recommend taking it apart and cleaning it. Or buying a new assembly from denniskirk.com or something.
KOOL! Oh yeah, is it any hard for you guys to do wheelies, on a quad, with twist?

Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
The thumb throttle makes your thumb cramp up on a long ride. But , it's a lot safer on the trails when you may be in a precarious situation. You can let off without letting go.
Sparky, that is both the best and shortest explanation I have ever heard anyone give on this subject. I say stick with the thumb.

Quick Reply: twist throttle VS thumb throttle