Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Problems??

Ive been looking for a 4 wheeler and looked at many reviews and test...leaning towards the grizzly 660...many reveiws were good...but lately ive found a disturbing amount of bad ones such as The Grizzly will lose power going through water do to water hitting the hot engine and sucking steam into the intake causing it to mis is this common with them and where exactly is the air intake filter located on the bike, and Breaking Axles from Tires with aggressive tread...a guy claimed to have broken a total of 3 axles in a 4 month period according to him he had 27 inch mudlite tires on his grizzly and others claimed to have ther gas boiling? has any one experienced any of these problems are they common for the grizzly line or are these defects from yamaha...Thanks for any advice in advance...

4wheelin101

Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2005 grizzly. The boiling gas issues is fixed from what I understand. I have heard very few if any complaints about boiling gas from anyone with a 2005 grizzly. The problems regarding the engine sucking in steam and sputtering...most of this seems to be fixed. Some people have the problem some don't. I have never had a steam/sputtering problem and I go through mud and streams as often as possible. Those that have the problem seem to be able to fix it very easily by rearranging the intake tubes. My tires are Highlifter M/S/T's ... if you check out the Highlifter website you'll see that they are a pretty aggressive tire...similar to a 589 tire. I've had no problems yet with my axles.

I love my grizzly, I ride on rough trails and have been getting more and more into mudding. My grizzly has never let me down. If I had it to do all over again I would go get another grizzly.

good luck

Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Usually the axle problems are due to incorrect riding.
If youre in a slop hole, and up against a hidden log or rock, and you rod on the motor, in an effort to get unstuck...and you notice the tires arent spinning, its a clue to back off and try a new path or get a run at it. Bigger tires cause more leverage, and are heavier, both conspire to shorten component life, if used improperly.
Everyone comments about the clunking noise, when using the brakes on choppy ground, no big deal.
The steam issue should be resolved, and so should the gas boiling issue. Due to the engine side skirts, the hot air is trapped inside the engine area, and can cause both those issues. Some have cut larger holes in the plastic, and some just remove them.
You might want to wait a year, unless you can grab a good deal...i hear the grizz is a 700 next year, and should have some other changes as well.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info...Hondabuster is the 700 supposed to be out 06 year...or for 07? thanks again for the information.

4wheelin101

Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

No problems with deep water. We rode rivers to the top of the fenders all week end. Do have a probem now that started after the first service and about 25 hours with it boiling fuel. It will get you hurt when it starts sputter on a steep hill. Mine is brand new 05 special edition. No, the problem is not fixed and the dealer claims to have never heard of it before. One friend who has an 04 says High octane fuel helps his. He also cut out the vents in the side cover and wrapped his exhaust with header tape. Occansionally still cuts up he said. worse in colder weather verses hot.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

maybe high octane fuel is the answer. My dealer told me to use super gas and the grizzly has never had anything but. Like I said, never had a sputtering problem.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Higher octane wont help the boiling point of gas, venting, or rigging the fan, so it can come on manually with a switch probably will help more.
Supposedly, by next august, the 700 grizz should be out.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks hondabuster...do you think it would be worth it to wait for it to come out...im not planning on purchasing an ATV no earlier then May '06...Ive also been cosidering a Suzuki KingQuad if any body can give me pros and cons of this machine i heard this thing is designed greatly for deep water and mud holes due to the snorkle type setup...i understand it didnt score quite as high on carrying a load while rock climbing...thanks again for the great replys.

4wheelin101

Old 10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Check out the prior posts on the king quad. Lots of issues with the weak reverse...and the fix is the power was reduced. Nice quad, but be aware of the issues.
Have you checked out the brute force?
Bomb 800?
As long as you have the time, and money isnt burning a hole in your pocket, youre best bet is to keep doing reseach and ask questions.
Make a list of must have features, and itll reduce your choices.
Irs or solid axle, auto or manual, locking differential or not, and so on.
You could wait til the new ones come out, and then look for a good price on a leftover new grizz..im sure they will need to be heavily discounted, and then it would be an even better buy.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah ive heard recently about the weak reverse...I looked into the brute force seems to be an awsome machine and friend of mine has one ive ridden on it and if feels pretty tippy and the steering is a bit tough...the Bombardier 800 sounds like a sweet machine but for over 10 grand which is the base price from what i understand is kinda steep....ive also been looking at probably the 700EFI Polaris whats your opinion on them? I figured after I get what i want put on the Polaris it will run me near if not over 10 grand...in which case i could purchase a bombardier....any expierience with either of these...from what i hear the bombardier can do 70 mph+ in 10 seconds? Thanks again for your help.

4wheelin101

Quick Reply: Grizzly Problems??