Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

EFI Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Problems?

See, i was just talking to my freind today when i went to his house to pick up the radar gun, checking out the topspeed of Raptor 700r and V700, he told me that EFI causes more problems than having a carberator. Is this true? If it is, I would use the process of elimanation and eliminate the LTR 450 from my list of "My Future Quads!" Thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Air
Pro Rider
Default EFI Problems?

Potentially there are more things to go wrong, but there is a lot more upside.
I have started out at 4500 ft and ridden to 10000 on my 700r and never skipped a beat.
I have seen more than a few machines try to rejet on the trail it sucks.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Problems?

What are the potentiall downsides of EFI? And for jetting, do you just take them out and put in a new one, or do you adjust them?

Old 10-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default EFI Problems?

the yamaha site lied then they said that the fuel injection said it is more reliabal and u wouldnt have to mess around with the jets[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Problems?

Originally posted by: raptor700thabomb
the yamaha site lied then they said that the fuel injection said it is more reliabal and u wouldnt have to mess around with the jets[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Technically it's true, but there are alot more parts to EFI; especially the addition of many electronic parts. All they are saying is that there is more things that CAN go wrong with EFI than with a carb, it doesn't mean it WILL happen. So far no problems have showed up with the 700 EFI, hopefully it stays that way!

Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI Problems?

Technology works pretty much universally. The less you have to do, the more the tech has to do and the more opportunity for the tech to go bad. Now the question is whether the tech is more reliable than you are? If you are a carb jetting whiz then the tradeoff may not be for you, but if you are like the average atv rider the extra work done by the EFI system is a godsend.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Problems?

This is coming from an old time Harley wrench who back in the "old" days would'nt even use the phrase EFI. But just as the damn computer your looking into right now, technology has gone a long way. When EFI work's, you can't beat it! and because of the advance's, it works a whole lot more then it doesn't. Granted, anything other then some total mechanical failure, on a carb'd bike/quad, I'll get it going. EFI? you best call the damn tow truck. But because of the EFI system's today, and companies like Dynojet (makers of the Power Commander) I just took delivery of a 700R yesterday, and I'm looking forward to putting this EFI baby togeather and take my chance's.......Ride safe all, Putt

Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Default EFI Problems?

I will tell you this, with the following mods, stock ecu blows:

Phoenix Sparky Insert
GYTR Adapter and gauze filter with prefilter
Lid on or off, doesn't matter

Plug was white with the above mods, put stock sparky back in along with lid and new plug, nothing changed, still too lean. From my personal experience, just a filter change leaned out the plug more than I was comfortable with.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Problems?

Hap you just need to get that PCIII and you will be in love with that thing again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I just returned from my third trip to the sand. The last 2 trips I have rode it hard,on this last trip I rode the chit out of mine to the tune of 2 tanks of fuel a day for 3 days and 1 tank on sunday and not one problem, Hill shots, tree shots, idiot holes, uphill drags and flat drags and the endless Florence woops,not so much as a hiccup other than blowing the screen out of my Phoenix sparky. The EFI has been flawless. If you would of told me before I got one that the 700R with efi ran this hard I wouldn't have believed you. For anyone considering buying a 700R I don't think you'll regret it, I know I don't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Things can go wrong on anything but if you take care of the maintinence, keep the air filter serviced and make sure you put clean fuel in it the efi should give you miles and miles of trouble free service.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Default EFI Problems?

Originally posted by: RaptorRandy27 Hap you just need to get that PCIII and you will be in love with that thing again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
CB's vendor is b/o'd on them from what I understand, I'm about ready to get it directly from DJ, MB has no clue as to when it'll arrive. I'll talk to MB and if things aren't right, I'll cancel and go with DJ directly.

Quick Reply: EFI Problems?