Installing Piston!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Piston!

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: caliraptor
$hit, your kidding right? I ordered the ring kit a month ago, cant remember the part number. Would you happen to have the # for the CORRECT ring kit?

Found the ring set part # 3937XH, thats for a std bore 11:1
The proper ring type for the wiseco 11:1 raptor piston is XS, not XH as indicated in by the 2005 catalog. Earlier catalogs will reflect the correct type. Check the top of your piston, if its stamped with "XH" then you're ok, but all of the wisecos I've seen (including mine) have "XS" on the head. I got the same XH rings shipped to me, the oil insert wont fit, they are the wrong design and the wrong size. The upper and lower rings were fine though. Like I said, check the top of your piston before you try to install anything.

DAMN IT, looks like I'll have to give them a call and bitch at them.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$hit, your kidding right? I ordered the ring kit a month ago, cant remember the part number. Would you happen to have the # for the CORRECT ring kit?

Found the ring set part # 3937XH, thats for a std bore 11:1
The proper ring type for the wiseco 11:1 raptor piston is XS, not XH as indicated in by the 2005 catalog. Earlier catalogs will reflect the correct type. Check the top of your piston, if its stamped with "XH" then you're ok, but all of the wisecos I've seen (including mine) have "XS" on the head. I got the same XH rings shipped to me, the oil insert wont fit, they are the wrong design and the wrong size. The upper and lower rings were fine though. Like I said, check the top of your piston before you try to install anything.

DAMN IT, looks like I'll have to give them a call and bitch at them.
I called the shop I got them from and we found the problem. I've got a new set of rings waiting for me whenever I need them. It's wiseco's screwup, so go easy on your dealer/distributor because he probably doesnt know. But if you got them straight from wiseco, let them have it.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

All my mechanic could find on the piston were these numbers:

C00P2
4737 M10000

Do these numbers mean anything ? I know the 10000 is the bore size, but not sure about the other numbers

Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The problem is the ring type, which we've already concluded is XS and not XH by the marking on the piston. Ring size and design are the same, its just the oil clip design and size that is the problem. That's what the letters signifiy, ring and oil assembly design. The numbers are the bore size.

You should need ring set 3937XS.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

The problem is the ring type, which we've already concluded is XS and not XH by the marking on the piston. Ring size and design are the same, its just the oil clip design and size that is the problem. That's what the letters signifiy, ring and oil assembly design. The numbers are the bore size.

You should need ring set 3937XS.
Just called the dealer I bought them at, seems like they will need the piston and ring set to verify with wiseco. Good thing Im not home or Id be royaly pissed.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Just talked to tech. at Wiseco. They said the caramel colored ring goes on top. Just thought i'd post that.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RadRaptor
Just talked to tech. at Wiseco. They said the caramel colored ring goes on top. Just thought i'd post that.
thanks for the info!

Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

No problem! That nothing compared to all the info I get from you guys.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RadRaptor
Thanks for the heads up. I had a friend with me and he handed me the rings as I put them on the cylinder. I didnt remember one specifically going on top or one on bottom because I just put the ring on as it was handed to me. He had set the rings out beforehand as the instructions specified. But I swear I dont remember differentiating between them before, even thought I know now I must have. Brainfart on my end, sorry for the confusion.