AV gas VS. Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AV gas VS. Octane booster

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...ne_booster.pdf

I checked the Lucas web site, and their booster does contain an upper cylinder lubricant although they don't say what it is composed of.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: kdneo
Originally posted by: Sandrider503
Octane booster is a not what you think if it says 11pts it is actually .11pts see say you gas is 92 octane it would bring it to 93.1 octane. hope this is helpful.

That makes sense and I know that, but the lucas stuff claims to be diffrent "TESTED - Three times more boost than most other brands" Taken from thier website.

"This is a GUARANTEED octane bootst. Keep in mind when you read the back of the bottle at your local parts store 1 octane point is 1/10 of a number, so if you run 93 octane, and your octane booster increases your octane 3 points- congratulations, you are now running 93.3 octane!!! Lucas will boost your octane 3 numbers at least, depending on what size your tank is!!"

That is taken from the ebay auction link I listed above.
Octane boost is a waste of money, 11 points will only take you to to 92.1 if you start with 91 octane. Don't believe every claim you read on the internet. If I tell you a stock raptor will do 200 mph and post it on a web site would you believe it? no, so why should you believe everything else. Not trying to rag, but just do some homework before you ruin a new expensive machine.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

I used to run AV gas in my 250r it was 100 octane. There was a noticable difference in running 100 octane race gas. For some reason the bike ran hotter or cooler with the AVgas (forgot which one has been a while). But now I have a different head and piston and run 93.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

It seems that everyone has something to say about avgas.
This has been my experiance.
AVgas stores better than pump gas.
Avgas is always the same.
Pump gas is all over the map with oxyagenation, additives and alcohol.
I have run AVgas in the following ATVs and motorcycles with no problems.
Blaster
ATC250R
ATC350X
ATC200X
KFX400
Raptor660
KLR650
CX500

Old 10-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BeerSmurf
It seems that everyone has something to say about avgas.
This has been my experiance.
AVgas stores better than pump gas.
Avgas is always the same.
Pump gas is all over the map with oxyagenation, additives and alcohol.
I have run AVgas in the following ATVs and motorcycles with no problems.
Blaster
ATC250R
ATC350X
ATC200X
KFX400
Raptor660
KLR650
CX500
On the point of consistancy from one pump or day to the next, you're comparing apples to oranges. In that aspect Avgas isnt something that should be compared to automobile 87-94 octane pump gas, but to race fuels purchased by the can or from the pump. The prices are closer to the race fuels as well. Pump gas is made for cars that typically dont need much consistancy in fuel, even vehicles designed for premium have quite a bit of tuning leeway programmed in. You're talking about a small engine running much closer to its mechanical and performance tolerances than just about any production street legal automobile. Different applications require different solutions. A stock bike is made to run on the inconsistant pump gas, but when you start modifying it and increasing static and dynamic compression its up to you to use the right fuel.

As for having no problems, were you running compression that actually necessitated the octane rating the fuel had? And do you know whether or not your engine life was shortened; meaning you would need to know how long it would have lasted on real race gas. Sub-optimal lubrication wont necessarily lock your engine up, but you'll be replacing components and rebuilding more often.

The best way to go is to get race fuel, but only if you need it. The Raptor 700 still has the same 9.2:1 compression it had in 660 trim. So even if they do recommend 91 octane I doubt the dynamic compression has changed so much that it will have problems with 91, even on hot days in the dunes.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you run anything over 10 I would run race gas I made the mistake of not running straight race gas in my 400ex I was mixing it half and Half I burnt my rings up. remember guys these are High performance machines stock or not. I would not run any additives or octane boosters. Maybe a lubrication additive but thats it. octane boosters are a waste of money Klotz or not get some race gace or super and run that stay away from av gas the oxygen levels do vary ask the guys who fuel the planes everyday. I would also recommend not running regular get the best super and never get fuel from ARCO or those wierd cheap gas stations go to any main gas chain besides ARCO and always run a hot plug your quad will appreciate it. They are not a KIA, quads have high demanding motors give them what they need. remember don't run race gas unless your compression is above 10 or above and if you do decide to run race gas and your compression ratio is below 10 mix it half and half. you are not gonna hurt anything. Just give it the best they got at the gas station you will have less matienence and a better running longer lasting machine.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have run Av-Gas in my 250R and 330R for years.
Works great, has one hell of a shelf life, and as was said, is more consistent than pump fuel.

My current 250R is running 235 PSI (170 stock), and runs on Av-Gas with the timing fully advanced.
It is also what my motor builder recommended I run in it.

www.DaveMooreRacing.com

I can tell you from EXPERIENCE, that you are not going to harm your motor running Av-Gas. Done it for close to 10 years now.
It can make throttle response a little more sluggish than pump fuel, but the timing can be advanced to make up for that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

that might be true for 2 strokes but everyone i talk too says it is not good i have buddies who run it in there 125s it works im don't think it is good for 4 strokes

Old 10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Airplanes are 4 strokes. Somebody better call the FAA. I bet they don't know that AV gas is good for 2 strokes and bad for 4 strokes.

LOL

Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Airplanes are 4 strokes. Somebody better call the FAA. I bet they don't know that AV gas is good for 2 strokes and bad for 4 strokes.

LOL
Yes you make a good point.
If there was a problem, they might want to have done something about if over the past 50 years.

However, I will say, avgas contains lead.
Avgas also contains scavenging agents to prevent the lead from depositing in an engine.
These agents require a fair amount of combustion heat to work properly.
So a lazy engine that doesn't see full throttle very often an does alot of idling such as a utililty quad putting around the farm may see some lead fouling.
I had to change the plug in our TRX350 we move planes with.
But I don't think we are talking about that use here.
I have also heard some two stroke oils don't mix properly with avgas, but have never seen it myself.
It seems many of the things you hear about avgas turn out to be old wives tales.

Quick Reply: AV gas VS. Octane booster