Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster wreck - how to repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 04:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster wreck - how to repair

My son crashed his 3-week old Blaster yesterday. Thankfully he is OK (whiplash, arm in a sling and knee in a brace), however the quad is in a slightly worse condition:

He drove blindly into a cloud of dust, connected with another rider, and rolled the quad.

This is the damage:
1. 3 rims slightly buckled
2. right upper a-arm snapped
3. right lower a-arm bent
4. back axle bent
4. SLIGHT kink in chassis close to where the right a-arm connects to it

I live in Bahrain, and our ONLY dealer here is absolutely useless, so I need some advice re repairing the damage:
1. Should I try to have the rims straightened
2. what parts (nuts, bolts etc) do I need to order in addition to the a-arms to replace them?
3. can the axle be straightened or do I need to replace it
4. Should I try to have the chassis straightened, or just see how it handles after everything else has been fixed.

PLEASE help me with this! I REALLY need some good advice as I cannot get spares here, so will need to order everything off the net, so any missing comonent will delay the repairs by at least two weeks.

Thanks in advance for the assistance

Old 10-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

depends on what you want to spend. I would replace all rims, new a arms and have someone look at the frame and see if they can get it straight. Replace the axle with a new one like a dura bule or lone star. This will give widen the back and when you choose new a arms I would get +3's this will make it handle and be more stable then stock. With the rims at least get new rear tires as the stock ones are too fat and bouncey and they will be aluminum instead of steel rims.

I have +3 a arms on my 98 blaster with a dura blue axle and rims and tires off my raptor. I do have a bend in my frame up front but I just adjusted the tie rod to make up for it.

Also check to make sure the boy's helmet is still in good shape. This would or course be the first one to replace. Hope he gets better soon.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

where is bahrain? Well were ever it is I would take topdollr's advice on the a-arm's I bent both right side arms in a bad wreck and replaced them with yamaha stockers and they were over 500$ canadian That would have taken me most of the way to a descent set of +3's.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

You can find stock a-arms on ebay for a good price. Also you may also want to look into a stock banshee axle if you dont want to spend alot of money on a good aftermarket one. I would replace the rims and the stock tires are crap so you might as well replace those as well. I wouldnt try to bend any of the peices back because they are weak now and liable to brake agian.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

sorry to hear of the boy hope he heals soon . ok heres my take on bent parts rims, axles, never try to bend them back it just dont work out of balance is all u get wobbling and no good just pick up the parts ebay or new how ever but dont try to bend bent axels and rims it aint going to work dont matter if its atv , cars , bikes, motorcycles, technical parts what ever it is unless your talking fixing the bent frame depends on how bad the bend is to much bend and it wont matter if u bend it back it wil be weak at that point .