Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 rAPTOR 700 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 rAPTOR 700 ??

With this being Yamahas first year releasing this bike, is anyone aware of any known issues/flaws yet ?

Old 10-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hell yeah theres an issue! Unlike the dealers and magazines state, the factory EFI does NOT compensate for intake\exhaust mods. An aftermarket programmer will be necessary to richen the fuel mix. They range in price from $200-332.

That aside, I love my 700! The handling is great, right out of the box, i didnt need to adjust the suspension settings. Its very comfortable. The lay out and instrumentation is great. Its a caddilac. Elec start, reverse, temp gauge, low fuel gauge, gear indicators for neutral and reverse are nice to have.

So far, ive installed a twist throttle with foam grips, a cooler rack, custom exhaust, Pro Design intake with the lid off the box, and just this morning: Dynojet Powercommander. Also have a set of paddles.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Shumway
With this being Yamahas first year releasing this bike, is anyone aware of any known issues/flaws yet ?
I've put quite a bit of time on my now (3 trips to the dunes) and to date not one problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I like it more every time I ride it. The handling and performance are very good. It's starts instantly has killer throttle responce and stops well. Of all the quads I've owned over the years this is by far my new favorite.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Originally posted by: RaptorRandy27
Originally posted by: Shumway
I've put quite a bit of time on my now (3 trips to the dunes) and to date not one problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I like it more every time I ride it. The handling and performance are very good. It's starts instantly has killer throttle responce and stops well. Of all the quads I've owned over the years this is by far my new favorite.
I have not felt really at home on a Yamaha until I spent a few minutes on Randy's. I have owned a Blaster and a Banshee, neither were that nice.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Glamis700
Hell yeah theres an issue! Unlike the dealers and magazines state, the factory EFI does NOT compensate for intake\exhaust mods. An aftermarket programmer will be necessary to richen the fuel mix. They range in price from $200-332.
I have yet to read anything that would make me asume the factory EFI compensates for any form of mods espesaly intake or exauhst. To do that it would have to have an O2 sensor. In no way shape or form is that a factory defect. That is YOUR misunderstanding andmaybe a bad dealer feeding you full of crap. The programer is NESASARY for any mods that you would have to rejet for on a carburated machine.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read numerous times that the efi on the new rappy does compinsate for air management mods. So that is a bummer to hear that is not the case. Sounds like the mags got it wrong but I agree it is not a manufacturer defect

Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Originally posted by: BKrukow I have yet to read anything that would make me asume the factory EFI compensates for any form of mods espesaly intake or exauhst. To do that it would have to have an O2 sensor. In no way shape or form is that a factory defect. That is YOUR misunderstanding andmaybe a bad dealer feeding you full of crap. The programer is NESASARY for any mods that you would have to rejet for on a carburated machine.
From everything I read in the mags prior to my purchase, factory ECU would compensate, that was my understanding prior to my purchase. I've since discovered every article or source of this information is dead wrong and misleading. I don't remember Yamaha actually saying stock ECU would compensate, so it's not a defect. I do know if you run a GYTR Filter with adapter and no aftermarket controller, you'll be lean, real lean. To be on the safe side, if you make any changes, get yourself a aftermarket controller.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well Brandon, YOU have not read anything about the EFI compensating for mods, however I and OTHERS have.

Now we know better.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I went on the yamaha website and read the info, i knew before they were out at the dealer that the efi couldnt compensate, plus it would need a o2 sensor for that

Old 10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it was misleading that Yamaha had a full line of GYT-R products available for the 700 with no mention of any kind of EFI controller. I never read anything from Yamaha that said their EFI would make the necessary changes for any mods, even their own GYT-R products................but EVERY magazine I've read said it would. Just goes without saying I guess you can't believe everything you read.

Quick Reply: 2006 rAPTOR 700 ??