Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hot Rods stroker for Warrior/Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot Rods stroker for Warrior/Wolverine

Has anyone tried the stroker kit I've see advertised in Dirt Wheels for Hot Rods for the Warrior/Raptor350/Wolverine motor? With the Hot Rod piston, it is supposed to make a 396 cc motor with a +7mm rod stroke. I know it would involve case splitting and some work, but for 390 bucks for the crank/rod kit,and the 100 or so bucks for a piston, it wouldn't be that expensive to get a near 400cc motor. What kind of reliability problems would you be looking at with that kind of mods ?Any info or opinions on this ?

Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to know where you saw this advertised. I remembered seeing Hot Rods advertised in the Dec. DirtWheels. I went back to it and it says Warror/Raptor 350. Nothing mentioned about the Wolverine. I do know that the Warrior/Raptor 350 and the Wolverine do now share a crank.

As far as reliablitly goes, I've had mine split 3 times. The first time was done by FST. The second and third by myself. the only reliability issues I can think of are the amount of care taken in sealing the case halves. My second teardown now has a weep between case halves under the starter. Nothing much but enough to annoy me cause I know it's there.

I feel very comfortable in taking it anywhere as I've never been left stranded. The engine design itself is really good. After talking with Mickey at FST and finding out that if there is less than .030" (yes, the number is right) runout between crank halves, they'll run it, I am confident that as long as they are aligned right, there should never be a reliablity issue with the crank itself.

Keep in mind that stroking it and upping the displacement will yield more viberation in the footpegs. You are changing the geometry of the crank and the amount of weight it is thrusting up and down, but you are not changing the counterbalance at all. That's the one thing I don't like about my 446. Vrrrrr Vrrrrrr Vrrrrrrrr though the feet just as the throttle.

Not sure if I actually answered your question or not - so here goes. As long as you do the work right and take your time, I believe you'll be just fine. That is as long as Hot Rods makes a quality product.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The add didn't include the Wolverine, I just assumed it would work, being the Wolverine motor is basically a Warrior with lower end changes to add the front and rear output shafts. I myself don't know if the crank for a Warrior is the same,I just was thinking the motors are so similar,that it would be the same.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw that ad some time ago, too. The Warrior and Wolv crank are definitely different, thus I never gave it much thought.

Like Robert has mentioned, FST has done a ton of the strokers, I have yet to hear of inherent problems with them. On the other hand, if you visit the Powroll site, you will see that they refuse to do Wolv strokers for reliability reasons.

I don't know of anyone with the Hot Rod setup, if I were going stroker, would probably just have FST do it.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

well i do not have mine stroked but i have---- Big bore kit 366cc 12:1 pistion stage 2 hotcames blackdimond vaulves ported and polish jetted and pipe-- and thats just in the motor i have all the-- dyna toys-- to and i have not had any problems with it and i will tell you what there is not a stock Z400 or 400ex i have even beat a 440 ex in a 300 foot drag. well it is just kinda fun to take a warrior and out run one of them and watch them scrach there heads.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

get a big bore stroker kit from four stroke tech