Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

anyone rode a grizzly and a 400EX?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005 | 04:00 PM
|
Range Rover
Default anyone rode a grizzly and a 400EX?????

How do they compare as far as sportiness........ Im considering trading mine in for a 06 grizzly, but i'm worried im gonna be dissapointed, i test drove a 03 but the area was small and i never got above 35 and it seemed to get there fairly quick but didn't have the snap anywhere close to what the EX has.......

So anyone rode both? I want to switch because i don't ride it during the winter because i don't wanna screw around with getting stuck in all the drifts, so i'm making payments on somthing that sits all winter long......... Also my friends have boughten polaris' and ride in the river and my EX well it just don't like water and i float away and they always gotta pull me across to the next sandbar.......

So you see my problem, and no i will not get a polaris....... its either a grizzly or honda foreman 500.....

Old 10-30-2005 | 05:08 PM
Range Rover

The Grizz IMO is more sporty than the Foreman, and sporty for a Ute. It is no 400ex as far as jumping and such, but will provide it's own brand of fun all the same. The ride of the grizz is awesome! They seem to float over bumps and ruts. With a pipe and intake mods, that grizz will smoke a stock 400ex in a drag. Saw it happen![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2005 | 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have both. Look at my pictures and you'll see them both in there. The Grizz does fly ok. That's my wife getting about 5 feet of air at Coral pink sand dunes. A steady diet of jumps like that will probably shorten the life of the Grizz as it's just not made for it. The two quads are really different and can't be compared easily. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper and an F350. For most of my riding I like Utility quads. For sand and jumping I like Sport Quads. If I were only to own one quad it would most likey be a Utility because I ride trails more then MX or dunes. Because I do like to go fast ride wheelies and be a hooligan, I purchased a BF750. It is not as refined as a Grizzly but goes faster and will out run my son on his 400EX.I would also look at the KingQuad as it is also a really fun quad. I have not ridden the Kawasaki P700 all that much, but from the limited seat time I do have on them they handle very much like a real heavy sport quad because they have the solid rear axle. Honda IMO does not make anything sporty enough to keep me interested in their Sport Ute line. I have not ridden the new 06 Rincon, but I was not impressed with the 05. Polaris are great for work and trails, but they are real heavy and need more room to get all the mass changed from one direction to another. The new big boy from Bombardier I have no personal experience with.
It is a very individual choice as both of the quads of are high quality they are just made for different riding situations and styles. Usually it's most enjoyable if everyone in your group is equipped with similar equipment.

Old 10-30-2005 | 07:10 PM
|
Range Rover

I aint gonna get a polaris, the reason there heavier than snot, and i personally don't think there made all that great........i do like the storage in the racks thou........ I can't really afford anything that cost more than the grizzly, i want something at least a 660 or bigger so i think i'm pretty much gonna have to go with the grizz, as its gonna be pushing my budget the way it is..

Old 10-30-2005 | 07:27 PM
Range Rover

Ever consider the Prairie 700?

Old 10-30-2005 | 07:47 PM
|
Range Rover

no i really havn't, i looked on kawasaki's website, i like the styling on the grizz better...... i didn't really see anything else that would put it above the grizz besides a few cc's........ the P700 has alot less ground clearence than the grizz which i don't like which is one of the reason why i shyed from honda...

How is the power compared to the grizz and P700...........

The BF 750 i looked at one at the dealership and they seem to be really big, which i want to be able to drive out in the woods hunting i htink the compact size of the grizz will be perfect...

Old 10-30-2005 | 07:59 PM
Range Rover

The P700 with that V twin 700 is a beast of a motor! No problem trying to ride a wheelie on a 4x4. The Grizz don't stand a chance in the motor dept.....And I'm told they pwerslide reasonably well, and are not as tippy on off chambers.........Grizzlys are downright scary on steep off chambers! IMO.

Don't forget how the P700 had all of the fuel under the seat to keep it's weight low, and a variable diff lock as well that can be engaged on the fly!

Old 10-30-2005 | 08:45 PM
|
Range Rover

don't the grizz have a differential lock that can be shifted on the fly???????

Old 10-30-2005 | 09:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Derag2
don't the grizz have a differential lock that can be shifted on the fly???????
Nope.

Old 10-30-2005 | 09:24 PM
|
Range Rover

now im no so sure on the grizz, i love the look but, why is it everyone thinks its a powerhouse but yet it runs lower HP numbers than the other bigbores out there........ Does it have more TQ????????

Im assuming the P700 is gonna drink the fuel with that Vtwin??????????

Quick Reply: anyone rode a grizzly and a 400EX?????