Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who actually has a 06 wolverine 450?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who actually has a 06 wolverine 450?

I run the Maxis sur-traks (basically same tread but just a little bit lighter weight) and im totally happy with my 25s. I did go with the 1.5 inch wheel spacers all the way around but I think thats needed with or without bigger tires on the wolvy. The 3 inch wider wheelbases make for much more stable power-sliding through the corners. I have some engine performance of course i dont know how theyd be on stockers

Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Wolverine 450 and have done roughly 50 hard trail miles; I had a Prairie 700 before this and a LTZ 400 before that.

The Wolverine is the perfect trail riding machine; there is no excessive mass like the Kawi, the low-end torque is excellent and the handling/suspension is top notch for all situations except a motorcross track. There is plenty of power on hand (I'd like to meet the rider who rides over 50 mph on tight trails), and I've already ridden through creeks and up hillclimbs that would leave any race quad stranded.

I love reading the negative comments from people who haven't even ridden it. Quite honestly, I'm glad Yamaha had enough commons sense to make a machine which is probably what 90% of recreational trail riders have been looking for.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

I like how everyone beats up this machine because it has an "auto". It's a belt driven CVT which isn't really an auto because there's nothing to shift in the first place.

Not only that but this "auto" is the same technology used on another sport quad (KFX700) and every snowmobile ever made. If you think a quad with belt driven CVT is going to be slow try riding a KFX700.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Suburbanrancher
I have a Wolverine 450 and have done roughly 50 hard trail miles; I had a Prairie 700 before this and a LTZ 400 before that.

The Wolverine is the perfect trail riding machine; there is no excessive mass like the Kawi, the low-end torque is excellent and the handling/suspension is top notch for all situations except a motorcross track. There is plenty of power on hand (I'd like to meet the rider who rides over 50 mph on tight trails), and I've already ridden through creeks and up hillclimbs that would leave any race quad stranded.

I love reading the negative comments from people who haven't even ridden it. Quite honestly, I'm glad Yamaha had enough commons sense to make a machine which is probably what 90% of recreational trail riders have been looking for.

This is what I have been trying to tell everybody, but I guess I don't know what I am talking about. I have had this one for 4 months and love it, the wife even loves it more....

Old 12-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok heres the breakdown i have owned a 1995 suzuki 280 king quad, 1996 wolverine 350, 2000 honda trx 300, 2002 raptor 660, and now just picked up the wolverine 450. i loved my 96 wolverine!!! had the best time at the race track with it. but then after having a raptor 660 comparing on power no comparison. i loved my raptor fast as hell especialy with it jetted and full exhaust. but im a little on the older side now and my body dosnt want to take the abuse that a raptor will give you after a good day of trail riding. this 2006 wolverine 450 seems to be just that much better than the first one i had, granted i only put 12 miles on it so far, but in and out of 4 wheel drive is a plus!!! and automatic is great too. sure it even looks better. there is pleanty of power behind it to get you wherever you wanna go. it does seem slow to me but dont forget i had over 50hp in my raptor and thats no joke! so most bikes i ride seem slow after having the raptor. this bike is definately a well rounded performance trail bike. the ride isnt like a grizzly 660 as far as comfort but not far from it. my friends grizzly will leave me behinde on a long strait away, but in the woods on trails theres no chance he will keep up to the wolverine 450. you want more power from it just jet it and full exhaust and ill bet you get a whole new annimal.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ttaylor

Wolvydude,
How does your wolverine handle the 24" tires? I was thinking of dropping to a 10" rim and 22" tires and running the Maxxis Razr2 all the way around for a more sportier ride. I know the fronts wouldn't do as well in the mud but most of my riding is on trails with just an occasional mud puddle. How do you like the 424?
I doubt you will be able to fit a 10 inch rim over your disc brake rotor and caliper.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ajd187
I like how everyone beats up this machine because it has an "auto". It's a belt driven CVT which isn't really an auto because there's nothing to shift in the first place.

Not only that but this "auto" is the same technology used on another sport quad (KFX700) and every snowmobile ever made. If you think a quad with belt driven CVT is going to be slow try riding a KFX700.
The yamaha belt drive CVT is nothing like a sled.......on a sled the belt is the clutch.........Yamahas have a wet clutch between the primary pulley and the crank.
So the wet clutch gets you going and the belt drive just changes your speed.
The belt is always tight against both pulleys on the Yamaha and Suzuki autos.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

doubt you will be able to fit a 10 inch rim over your disc brake rotor and caliper.
It should work since the warrior and wolverines are almost identical and the Warrior runs 10" rims.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ttaylor
doubt you will be able to fit a 10 inch rim over your disc brake rotor and caliper.
It should work since the warrior and wolverines are almost identical and the Warrior runs 10" rims.
The Warrior rear disc isnt out inside the rear wheel either......its close to the center of the axle.......and the fronts are smaller (disc) on the warrior.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

The Warrior rear disc isnt out inside the rear wheel either......its close to the center of the axle.......and the fronts are smaller (disc) on the warrior.
Correct on both accounts, But as long as the bolt pattern is the same then I should be able to run the smaller discs on both the front and rear.

Quick Reply: Who actually has a 06 wolverine 450?