Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster idling problem

I just picked up an 01 blaster. The engine is bored .60 over and is only about 2 hours into its break-in. It was running great w/ the fuel that was in the tank when purchased. After that ran out I refilled with a 32/1 mix. Since then the bike will not idle. If I keep on the throttle it runs fine, but once I let off it seems to be choking and then dies. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this ???? Thanks.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think your 32/1 Ratio is a little rich. Try 40/1 ratio!!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

while this thread is open, i own a 1999 blaster, and it idles so high i cannot keep it running if i am not in motion. i am afraid something bad will happen. it starts fairly normal, then revs up and up and up so if i dont hurry up and put it in gear and go, it will rev to the moon. how can i fix this? there appears to be only one adjustment screw on the carb, and i have tried turning it out and in to no avail.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

is that when it is cold? If you pull the choke out it will go back to idle speed while it is warming up

Old 11-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

this is while cold and warm and hot and every tempertaure, all running conditions, with choke on and off. it always does it.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

You need to remove the carb and clean it very good. Remove the pilot jet and make sure it is not plugged up.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: enduro4231
while this thread is open, i own a 1999 blaster, and it idles so high i cannot keep it running if i am not in motion. i am afraid something bad will happen. it starts fairly normal, then revs up and up and up so if i dont hurry up and put it in gear and go, it will rev to the moon. how can i fix this? there appears to be only one adjustment screw on the carb, and i have tried turning it out and in to no avail.

Have you check the T.O.R.S ? thats what it sounds likt to me , you will find that right over the carb , I would check that first and go from there.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer

I just ran into this problem yesterday. I had put on a new Keihin 36mm carb and it wouldn't idle. I turned in the idle screw all the way until I even broke the plastic screw off! It still wouldn't idle. Of course the new carb doesn't even have tors.

But I suspected the tors was still working on the ignition. So I took the little switch out of the thumb throttle enclosure. After that it idled great! But the screw is still broken off in my carb!

I can back the screw out of the carb. I'm going riding today, and hope I don't lose the screw that's left in there.

Anyone know where to get a new Idle adjustment screw for a Keihin?

Iz.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Izord
I just ran into this problem yesterday. I had put on a new Keihin 36mm carb and it wouldn't idle. I turned in the idle screw all the way until I even broke the plastic screw off! It still wouldn't idle. Of course the new carb doesn't even have tors.

But I suspected the tors was still working on the ignition. So I took the little switch out of the thumb throttle enclosure. After that it idled great! But the screw is still broken off in my carb!

I can back the screw out of the carb. I'm going riding today, and hope I don't lose the screw that's left in there.

Anyone know where to get a new Idle adjustment screw for a Keihin?

Iz.
Wouldnt turning that screw all the way in completely cut the engine off of gas at idle? I think stock is like 1 1/2 turns out and turning it out allows more gas through to the engine at idle. Tell me if im wrong here.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you have a air leak..Better go through everything and check becuase air leaks will kill a motor..Do you have access to a compression tester and a leak down tester??

Quick Reply: Blaster idling problem