Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor smoke

When I start up my raptor it smokes a little. When i rode it today it didn't seem to pull as hard. I just changed the oil and oil filter beforehand. I was wondering if there was a problem or if i was just getting used to the power. I didn't seem to pull a wheelie as easily. I don't know if this would make a difference but I haven't ridden my quad in a while and it was the first time i rode it with mx boots. I get paranoid if everything is not right. DO any of ur quads smoke wen u start them up and is there anything i should check?

Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor smoke

time for a valve adjustment?

Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor smoke

so would that make the power slightly less. I do not know wen it last had the valves adjusted. How often do they need to be adjusted. I've only owned it for about a year. What are the main symptoms that woudl indicate a valve adjustment

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor smoke

symptoms: loss of power and harder starting
valves should be adjusted every 30-50hrs of use, some people do it more frequently than others...I just do it every other oil change.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default raptor smoke

Could the smoke be coming from spilled, or leaking oil. And, the loss of power due to low oil pressure. If these symptoms appeared right after your oils change, then check to see if you have the proper oil level, and the drain plugs (and filter) are not leaking.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor smoke

alright thanks i will check that. I've never adjusted valves before and i wouldn;t want to screw anything up so is taking the head off and doin all that work worth it for i begginer. I've looked a raptortranny.com and see they have steps for how to do valve adjustments. I am not very familar with this and i dont want to screw up. It this worth really looking into.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor smoke

can u guys give any tips to make adjusting the valves for a begginner easier and stress free. Is there anything i should look out for. tips to keep things organized etc. i appreciate all of the responses.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor smoke

just follow the instructions on raptortranny.com, that will get you through. Id wash the bike real good before working on it too, you dont want dirt falling into the engine. Read,re-read and re-reread the instructions before trying to do this, if you have any questions just come back and ask us. Make sure you have the proper tools (feeler gauges, 10mm wrench, allen wrenches) as well. Keep all your bolts in zip-loc bags and work in a nice clean area with no distractions, and if you can, print out the steps from the website...that way you wont have to go back and forth from the pc to the bike. I had a laptop with me in the garage and installed a wiseco piston and hot cams just by following raptortranny's instructions. Dont bother adjusting the exhaust valves, they hardly ever need adjusting.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor smoke

thanks alot caliraptor. I will schedule some time to take a look inside. Also, this will be good to gain some experience by doing this and it'll save me some money.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor smoke

well i was just reading post and came across this post with the web page for raptortranny.com very cool im a new owner of a new 660rt and now that i`ll be doing valve adjustment and wow what a nice guide on how do this color pics good writng on the instructions really cant wiat to log in 50 houres on my new ride just so i can do the valve adjust

Quick Reply: raptor smoke