Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Beginner's Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner's Questions

Just got a Raptor 700 not too long ago and still learning some stuff. What's the best way to clean your quad? Just wash it like a car? Nothing wrong with that?

Also... what are the best sand paddles to get for the dunes? Looking to buy some this week and just now realized that there's different kinds.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Same deal as washing a car: bucket, soap, and a scrub brush. Oh, and water too...that might help...i'm an idiot.
Granted, mine is usually covered in mud and such, so I break out the pressure washer.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Range Rover

You have to be careful with the pressure washers. Due to the force of the water and tight spray pattern, the water will get into places that it was not intended...gaskets, seals, BEARINGS.

A lot of guys on here will totally swear against using one, but I lower my pressure way down and just watch what I'm doing.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

Right on. Anything I have to do afterwards? I assume I'll have to lube the chain... right?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know if the rappy has sealed bearings or has grease fittings but if youve been riding in water or after a good washing doesnt hurt to hit up your fittings with some fresh grease if any water did get inside it will push it out. If your in the mud or the sand I like to get in nice and close and make sure i get the hose spray up between the pads and rotors on the brakes to spray out any rocks/dirt that might have gotten stuck in there. also just keep an eye not to spray water in your airbox or exaust and I always like to start mine up and run it for a minute or two after a wash so if any water got anywhere it shouldnt have it has a chance to rattle out or evaporate off. remember if you take it for a ride anywhere off the pavement dust will stick to it and it wont be soo clean again.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Right on! Thanks guys.

What about paddles? I noticed that there are different kinds. What's the best for the dunes at Glamis?

Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Power Washer! Thats what I have found that works the best. I dont have one though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. We usually just stop on the way home from riding at a car wash and get the big stuff off.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hondabrite with a pressure washer is great. Back down on the pressure so you don't blow the stickers off. Avoid scrubbing the plastic with anything to avoid scratches. If at all possible, wash the machine right after riding this will make it easier for the mud to come off. The Hondabrite leaves a nice film on the plastic and mud and grime don't stick. Let the machine idle after washing while your drying off the plastic.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Many people use ITP sandstars. Not a bad paddle at all

Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eadwiggi
Just got a Raptor 700 not too long ago and still learning some stuff. What's the best way to clean your quad? Just wash it like a car? Nothing wrong with that?

Also... what are the best sand paddles to get for the dunes? Looking to buy some this week and just now realized that there's different kinds.
Dang! Your a begginer getting a Raptor 700R. Lucky...How long did it take you to master the clutch?

Quick Reply: Beginner's Questions