Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Problems with 01 Big Bear 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 01 Big Bear 400

The quad won't hold an idle, backfires and pops when it does idle, gas pouring out of the overflow tube regardless if gas switch on or on reserve, and whether or not the quad is running. Replaced air filter, changed oil, and new plug. No difference. Quad is totally stock. Any idea what the problem could be? Friend told me I should get a carb rebuild kit. Should I? And where to buy one? The dealer wants 360 for a new carb, cheapest one I found for 357 - what a deal! How much should I pay for a rebuild kit? Also, the exhaust, right after it exits the engine glows red after only a few minutes of idling - I assume it's running lean. Need to know how to fix. Lastly, most of the time the quad needs the choke to run. Full choke - idles nice; No choke - stalls out. Don't know what the heck is going on. Any info and suggestions would help. Thanx.

-Niz
bigbear2time
IM: y2k4hemiquadcab
EMAIL: y2k4hemiquadcab@netscape.net

Old 11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 01 Big Bear 400

You almost certainly dont need a new carb...what you have is fixable, and you probably dont need the kit either.
The glowing pipe is a sign of lean , so is the popping and backfireing.
Most likely the float needle and seat are crusty, and need a good cleaning so it can shut off the flow of gas. This is why it over flows. The float controls that needle valve.
The pilot jet, is at least partially plugged. Just remove all the jets, and clean them up good, put it back together and itll be like new again. You need to be able to see thru the jets, like looking down a straw, if you cant see thru them, they are plugged up.
Heres a couple of sites, on carb cleaning
carbclean

carb

When you park the quad, and its gonna siit for more than 2 days, ...shut off the gas, and run the motor til it dies, this will leave the float bowl empty, and deposits wont happen again.