Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

my raptor is dying!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my raptor is dying!

One weekend me and my friend went riding he has a predator with a yoshi pipe and stage 3 jet kit on it. We were running real close. But after a while ny raptor started acting funny. We were running 5th gear wide open for about 10 to 15 miles, when he started reeling me in...fast. I did not notice this untill he went hauling past me. So i flagged him down and we stopped. My raptor was losing power left and right. It wouldn't even pull 5th gear at all and i couldn't even coax up a wheelie in 2nd! Right now at an idle it sounds like someone is pecking on the cylinder with a hammer. I thought my timing chain was lose. So i adjusted it and the problem just keeps getting worse. So i gave it a mild tune up, ( New plug, new timing chain, and adjuster, new gaskets, adjusted my valves, cleaned my carbs out with some carb cleaner i got from my local dealer. I also loosened my chain up thinking i had it too tight. I went from 1/2" to 3/4" slack. I ran a little better but that was short lived now it won't even idle without being held form a quater to half throttle, and now it is knocking real bad. I think i might be due for a new piston kit and crank, with new main bearings. What do you all think? Oh and after taking the primary cover off i can see my all the metal inside my case is a burnt purple color. Also i tried putting a wrench on the magneta wheel nut to see if my motor is locking up and with the 2' wrench i was using it didn't budge. And i am no slouch i am pretty stout for my size. Thanks for any help yall can give me. Peace.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...

Time for a tear down! How much crankcase pressure do you have comming out the vent?
The float bowls tend to run dry after long periods casusing a real lean condition. not good.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

hmm, did u check your oil before you left???? when you say burnt purple color, it sounds like you didnt have enough oil in it, because a lean condition will burn the top of the piston and melt the spark plug, but not sieze up the lower end. only lack of lubrication will sieze the lower end bearings.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ok. I looked at my oil level and it is full but come to think of it none came out when i pulled the clutch cover and primary cover. So is that bad? And how much am i looking at here thanks yall.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

like he said when u have blued parts its because of lack of lubrication

Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 660Rryder
Ok. I looked at my oil level and it is full but come to think of it none came out when i pulled the clutch cover and primary cover. So is that bad? And how much am i looking at here thanks yall.
i dont know about a raptor, but when i pulled the clutch cover of a yz85 a bunch of oil came out.

dont sound good buddy.