Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee in snow. And trails

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this on another topic but i think i'll just make a whole new one. I have had people tell me that it's bad to ride 2-strokes in cold weather.
Plus they said that it isn't any fun to ride on trails (not tight and twisty ones, they said any trails) because of hardly no bottom end, so it would just bog or quit or something. How about this top end rebuilding thing? Since i don't know mugh about 2-strokes, is it just that you put new rings and stuff like that in?
I have decided to get a banshee since a raptor is to pricy only 500 more dollars but thats pretty high to me. Plus when i get one i want to make it into a woods quad. Plus if you have anything about maintainance put that also.
Sorry for wasting your time on a stupid long question.

Old 10-31-2000, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

The banshee is one of the worst atvs to ride in the snow. The front is too heavy so steering and braking are non-existant. The hard power hit of the Banshee makes it very difficult to get traction in the snow. The tires spin like mad in the dirt for chrissakes!!! In the snow the tires spin a lot while you watch your friends on atc70s pull away from you and dissapear. The Banshee is also not the best woods atv either. The money you spend trying to make it trailable (and I've never seen a really trailable Banshee), would be much better spent on a 400EX or Raptor. In the woods Four strokes rule; and the 250R obviously.

Old 11-01-2000, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know for snow yet. But once the snow is gone, it's a blast! Maintenance is basically the same as on an MX bike (air filter, chain very regularly and now and then, top end -pistons rings-) plus you have to tighten every ride the big nuts on the rear axle. Loctited them, I'll see if it does something.
That's about it. I haven't had much problems riding tight wood trails...it's hard on the arms, but I can go through.
Oh, change the air filter as soon as you can. The stock one isn't very nice (as you probably know)
I think in snow that's probably the worst machine possible. But I'll try!!!

Old 11-01-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I think as far as running right, a 2stroke will run great if REALLLy warmed up before taking off. As far as the banshee in the snow.... all I see is digging BIG holes.

Old 11-01-2000, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

A Banshee in the snow NON EXISTENT(unless plowed)a 4 stroke yeah ecause the mid/bottom range tourue. If I rode in the snow Ide buy myself a nice 4x4!
I ride on race tracks and plowed land in the winter on my Suzuki 250R Quadracer IF i WANT TO FLY! If not I always have my good old Suzuki LT160 Quadsport! Which is a great realilble quad summer and winter

Old 11-01-2000, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

I have had a banshee for two years and all you have to do to have an AWESOME snow ride is put on a pair of Super Swamper rear tires. You cant just go out with the stock ***** and expect to go like normal! Also the banshee is great on trails. That's the only place I ride! Drop down to a 12 or 13 tooth countershaft sprocket and throw on a set of FMF gnarly or sst pipes and that will open up a whole new class of yeeeeehaaaaaa! I ride mine all summer and all winter with a simple tire change and no problems at all....
Addict

Old 11-01-2000, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Finally someone normal! Of course a banshee is a blast on trails.
Do you think bearclaws will do the job in snow?

Old 11-01-2000, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

A banshee can be a handful in snow...deep - wet stuff....no way..you will get tired of digging yourself out....4-5 inches of powder and it's just fine.... Mine steers and stops in the stuff.
You will have a blast if you can find some packed down snowmobile trails.
I am fortunate enough to have a golf course not too far from my house that is open to ATV's and sleds in the winter months. (just stay off the greens) ...the whole place gets all groomed/packed by the snowmobiles. Thats when it gets fun for the banshee. I run my bandits as long as it's packed and have no traction problems.
I can't keep up on the top end (with the sleds that is)...But most of the snowmobile guys are surprised at how fast the four wheeler goes.

As far as the bike being a 2 stroke in the cold weather. Of course I have to jet for the occasion. And certain oils do not like to stay mixed in the cold weather. (like klotz and castor). I usually just run yamalube once it starts getting near freezing. (just make sure you drain and flush the tank and carbs before making a change to a different kind of Mix)

Let it warm up good...dress warm and let it rip. Just watch out for snow drifts...they will stop you dead...and over the bars you go

Old 11-01-2000, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

What you should have done is bought a used banshee which is already modified. I used to have a banshee until I got the DS650. The banshee is horrible in the snow especially on hills. If I were you I would wait until you get a snow emergency and drive your banshee all over the road.

Old 11-01-2000, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like i might just wait for the 500 dollars as long as it's worth the wait, and from what i hear about the raptor its well worth it!

Quick Reply: Banshee in snow. And trails