Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ramps or Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramps or Trailer?

I still have not got any ramps, cant decide on what kind to get, and still not sure if 6' is long enough for my Grizzly and my Z71 short bed Silverado.

Would I be better of getting a trailer, if so what size would you recomend? I will only be hauling on wheeler.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if that's long enough or not -- is the Silverado 4x4? If so it may be a bit too steep (depending on the level of nerve in your bloodstream [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ).

You can always get 7 or 8 foot arched ones. Those would definitely be plenty long enough.

A trailer is going to run you at least $500. The best set of aluminum arched ramps you can find should be no more than $150.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

I have 5 foot ramps and load my machines into the back of my 3/4 ton 4x4 dodge. It sits a LOT taller thatn your Z71 so 6 footers should be fine with your short truck. I dont like loading the wifes griz in with these short ramps so I usaly try and park with the backend in the lowest place posible if putting the griz in the back of the truck. If I am loading the sport machine in the back then I dont mind. I used to have a 00 Z71 and the ramps where more than long enugh(sp). Save your money and get the 6 foot ramps. I dident buy a trailer till the wife decided she wanted to have a machine of her own 3 years after I got mine. Then I had to have a small trailer to haul the both of them.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have 6 foot ramps and have a 2500hd 4x4 chevy. Its not that steep unless parked on the wrong slope. As long as you strap them down right its not a problem. Might be a little nervous first couple times but after that you will be fine.
I have a trailer also and unless I need to haul multiple quads I would much rather put in back of truck.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, I really thought more would like the trailer but looks like more prefer the ramps.

My Z71 is 4X4, and although it does not have a lift kit, it does have the larger tires so it sits pretty high, I guess I should have added I am a well fed rider so your right the short ramps would be nerve bending. I still may go with some longer ones or the ones from Cabelas that you put to gether and store inside the truck.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are situations where I like both. For just a trail ride at a local spot nearby I prefer to load it into the truck. But IMO there's no substitute for a nice enclosed trailer. 12 foot is real nice for 2 bikes and some gear. The first trailer we had was a 16 or 18 foot landscaping trailer with a rear fold down ramp and that worked great too. The problem with a trailer is 1 that you've got more hassle to move around, 2 you get worse gas mileage, 3 you end up hauling other people's bikes when you dont really care to.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

trailers well i used to load my raptor in my truck using rammps and the low spot in my drive way or riding area. but when my son turned seven and i started to have to hual 2 rides the trailers was a must and then it all made sense to me how easy was this easy super easy with a nice fold down ramp 3500 lbs cap. i just leave my raptor in the trailer when i`m done park in the back cover and thats that . i would never go with out a trailer these days kid riding or not .

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are pros and cons either way. I load my 350lb sport quad with ramps, but don't like to use them to unload. I also have a 4'x6' trailer for when I bring a buddy, and what I usually do is unhook the trailer and just pull my quad off w/o using the ramps. This is something much easier done with a sport than a Grizz though. The trailer is just a cheapy like you can buy for $500.00 at the local hardware store, but it is less nerve racking and safer to load and unload. The downside is now you have a trailer to store and maintain. My ramps are the seperated kind, and in hindsite, getting one of the types that actually make one wide ramp would be a safer/easier alternative. Bottom line for me is that I bought a truck in part to transport my quad, and that is what it is used for. I prefer the quad in the bed for ease of parking and mobility. Not to mention I can't even see that little trailer behind my big ole truck. With the right style and length, ramps work just fine. If you do get a trailer, it would have to be longer than my 6'. My YFZ only fits on with a few inches to spare between the gate and my grab bar. ajd's V-force above wouldn't fit without something getting mangled in transport I'm afraid.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Just my 2 cents:

I for one would cast my vote for a trailer. Being a shortbox truck, the quad takes up the entire bed and will be sitting on the tailgate no? I never liked the idea of driving around with a quad on the tailgate. At least with the trailer you can haul extra supplies in the bed of the truck. I use 6 footers to load my raptor into the back of my F-350 Super Duty. It's fun in the summer, not so much in the winter.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

On a Chevy you can close the tailgate, I haul it like that now. I do have an extended cab so can load the gear in the back seat. I was thinking I could get a trailer with a folding ramp for around $500.00 but looks more like $750.00-$1000.00 I am going to go with the ramps for now.

Quick Reply: Ramps or Trailer?