Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Engine Noise

I know that this subject has been discussed before, but how many Wolverine owners have noisey engines? At first I thought that it was valve noise but after having checked and adjusted the valve clearance a couple of times I'm convinced that what I'm hearing is not valve tick. I have also manually tightened up the cam chain so it is not that either. The noise I'm hearing is more like a rattle and occours mostly when the RPM is just off idle. I have had someone suggest to me that is may be the automatic clutch making the noise.
Has anyone else been able to figure out where the noise comes from and is it fixable? I'm coming close to selling the machine it's bugging me that much! I know the engines are supposed to be bullet proof but they sure are loud.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

My 04 has some top end noise as well. It has had it since the day I took it home from the dealer. It is very typical of these engines. I don't know how noisy yours is compared to mine since I haven't heard yours (obviously). My 92 Warrior had the exact same top end noise and I listened to it for 4 trouble free years before I sold it. My nephew's 01 Warrior makes the same noise as well, altho to a lesser degree than my 92. It's just the nature of the beast, and it seems to have nothing to do with the adjustment of the valves. Personally, I don't worry about it. It never caused a single problem with my 92, my nephew's 01, or my 04. Every machine has it's little quirks, and with Warrior/Wolverine 350's it's top end noise.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

this is kind of off topic but hey NorthernATVer what kind of engine do you got in your 57'? my dad has a 56' four door with a 327 small block in her, you car looks really nice ours is black with the same basic 5 spoke wheels yours is in very good condition by the way my cousin has a wolvy too and hers makes a little noise too just off idle i wouldn't worry about it to much.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I really wish I could quiet down the Wolvey's motor though. I ride with a couple of Polaris' and Hondas and it's embarrassing when your almost new quad sounds like it has got 50,000 miles on it.

David- thanks for the compliments on my '57. It has got the original 283 V8 with a four barrel carb and dual exhaust backed by the original power glide automatic transmission. Its no hot rod but it goes down the road pretty good!

Old 12-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

you should do exaust and a filter with a few airbox mods on that baby and you wont hear the engine any more. Im not sure about the noise cause I have white brother cam with stiffer valve springs and its supposed to make a clicking sound. I love my FMF megamax pipe with K&N filter with outerwares. Really makes a nice power increase and noise and where the power increases is very ajustable with the disk system. I run 10 disks at the moment.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry, but LOUD pipes are one of the reasons that ATVs are on the endangered species list in this country. Unless you are racing on an approved, closed race course you do not need to alter the stock exhaust.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NorthernATVer,
How did you tighten your ca chain? What is the spec on doing it. I assume you use the chain tensioner however I am unfamiliar with the procedure. Thanks for the help.

-Seth