Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior, sucking through exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior, sucking through exhaust

So I am out at Gordons well this weeekend riding my buddies 97 warroir 350, coming down the hill to camp it starts cutting out, no problem figure it got loaded up, let off it get back on runs great. Later that night barely get out of camp go up one small(real small) hill, it stalls and won't start. It spins the motor like there is no compression, feel on the exhaust and there is a sucking and blowing with the piston. Ok so the cam chain broke and the exhaust valve is stuck open, get towed back to camp and pull the inspection cover and the chain is fine and still turning.

Without tearing down the motor, any ideas? I am thinking maybe it skipped a couple of teeth and the timing is off, maybe the cam sheared inside of the gear?

Is the warrior an interfearance motor, are the valves bent. Seems real strange as it was running so good right before it died.

Thanks in advance, I hate when I brake other people's bikes!

Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

no ideas?

Old 12-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

If it's sucking and blowing through the exhaust, then you KNOW that there is an internal problem. Bite the bullet and tear it down. Sorry...

Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: flyboeing
So I am out at Gordons well this weeekend riding my buddies 97 warroir 350, coming down the hill to camp it starts cutting out, no problem figure it got loaded up, let off it get back on runs great. Later that night barely get out of camp go up one small(real small) hill, it stalls and won't start. It spins the motor like there is no compression, feel on the exhaust and there is a sucking and blowing with the piston. Ok so the cam chain broke and the exhaust valve is stuck open, get towed back to camp and pull the inspection cover and the chain is fine and still turning.

Without tearing down the motor, any ideas? I am thinking maybe it skipped a couple of teeth and the timing is off, maybe the cam sheared inside of the gear?

Is the warrior an interfearance motor, are the valves bent. Seems real strange as it was running so good right before it died.

Thanks in advance, I hate when I brake other people's bikes!
You could have a stuck valve
Valves could need adjustment
Or you could have burnt an exhaust valve.
Cure might be to adjust your valves then run a compression test on it.