Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do 4 Weelers Float ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000 | 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

They will float....Some need more help than others. I have a Kodiak with stock tires. I will have to help hold the front end up while walking it across water. Not that it would sink if I didn't hold up the front, it's just the front dips down too deep and I don't want any water to enter in my belt exhaust....I started floating my Kodiak when I finally got it through my thick skull that it just ain't going to make it through 4 feet of water without being snorkeled

Old 11-03-2000 | 09:33 AM
|
Trailblazer

FKNA
What year is your stock Kodiak? What is your technique? Do you keep the engine running when you cross with it? How deep does it sit in the water when it starts to float?

It seem that a lot of 4 wheelers really do foat. And to the (Grizzly rider). "Will it really float when you are sitting on it and riding it over the deep spots?"

• Any one have a 1999 Kodiak that foats?

Old 11-03-2000 | 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

my dad's 95 suzuki 250 4*4 floats. i drove it through our creek when it was flooded up. i got halfway accross and it stopped going so i sat back to get more traction (though it was too sandy to get traction) the result of sitting back was sinking the back end two feet down.

Old 11-03-2000 | 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Mine was floating through water that was waist deep with me on it. The only thing keeping me moving was the wheels spinning in the water, they weren't touching bottom. Don't misunderstand me, I don't do this often, and the one time that I did it was more an accident then anything else. I have not, and will not go back through that river again. I was pleased with how well me and the Griz did in that situation, but it scared the hell out of me at the time. I will not blindly cross a river again without checking it for depth alittle more closely. I made it through that one time, but I have absolutely no interest in doing it again! I used to own a 99 Kodiak. I never rode it through the river that I took my Grizzly through, but I took it through some very deep water mud holes and it would float. But it sat much deeper in the water. I have oversized tires on my Griz, and I would guess that the increase in air volume makes it alittle more boyant.

Rick

Old 11-03-2000 | 12:39 PM
Range Rover

I took my old 99 banshee waterskipping this past spring. There was still a little snow on the ground, but we had a lot of melt water that had made our pond overflow. It was about 75' from dry ground to dry ground. I put the paddle tires and rain suit on and hit the water 5th gear pinned (I would have used 6th, but I didn't want to downshift more than I had to) with me sitting back as far as I possibly could. About halfway across, I had to drop to 4th, then 3rd, than about 4 feet from the other side, I killed it. Luckily there was only like 8 inches of water and a muddy bottom. Paddles work good in mud! The next run, I got more of a run at it, and I actually made it all the way across. I was going too slow in 3rd when I hit dry ground and I killed it again, but at least I made it!

Old 11-03-2000 | 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

1999KODIAK,
Before I get into technique let me tell you what the machine is going to do in the water without my help. If it's in deep water the rear end will be way up out of the water and the front would sink down and water would be over the front racks. Much like when a boat is sinking.

What I will do is drive into the water until the water comes up to around my head lights. I get off (usually leave the engine running, but really doesn't matter either way) I'll get in front of it with my back to the front of the atv, take a firm grip on the brush guard and start walking. Make sure you have a firm grip because once you start walking you will feel the atv want to tip from side to side.

Old 11-03-2000 | 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

1999, And don't forget to make sure it's in neutral

Old 11-03-2000 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH....Work keeps interruping my post. And I'm neglecting to get all your questions answered. I have a 2000 Kodiak

Old 11-03-2000 | 01:53 PM
|
Trailblazer

FKNA

Is there a chance that you have any pict's posted of your technique of floating in the water?
If you didn't hold up the front end, would it then sink?

Thank's for your reply's and information!

1999Kokiak

Old 11-03-2000 | 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno but you wont catch me trying it! :-)

Quick Reply: Do 4 Weelers Float ????