Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450 vs Polaris Predator 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 vs Polaris Predator 500

Uhm, that shootout link for the sport quads was for 2004. Not really relevant now, wouldn't you say?

Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DriverDoyle
Sorry, thought it might go that route eventually, but was really hoping it wouldn't.... We are all a loyal bunch, aren't we?
Webopper Sorry but i think im going to let you down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I found a few YFZ here in oklahoma that already has cams and other mods. And the reason im looking at that im tired of builting motors. It seems like i work on them more that i ride. I do all my motor work myself becouse i really dont trust anyone if you know what i mean. Its like right now we have a 440ex in are shop that needs a base gasket on it we have had the parts for about a week just dont feel like messing with it. But we have to have it done by jan 15 so the guy can race.
LOL bro...I'm not working on commission here, you're not letting me down at all, but I appreciate the sentiment. My thing is I just want people to have some facts, not all this "XYZCompany sucks azz, cause I beat it all the time with my Yomoto 110". That doesn't help anyone.

You gathered information, and are making a decision that you feel is best for you...hopefully I helped you with that process cause that's all I wanted you to do, and that makes me happy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 135boom
..............and when it was put against the raptor, its didnt win either. The rappy can easily get its butt kicked by a yfz, so there you have it!

So what that extra stock horse getting you........
Originally posted by: Fahq
Uhm, that shootout link for the sport quads was for 2004. Not really relevant now, wouldn't you say?
That's where the relevence came from, but you are right, not a good comparison of either todays Raptor or Predator. Both are much better machines than they were then.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Fact of the matter is, comparing a Raptor to a yfz is like comparing a Camaro to a Vette. Same manufacturer but, different cars altogether. I honestly know little about the Predator so, I can't really say my Raptor is better. I definetaly like the look of the Predator but, have not had the chance to race one. I am happy with my quad.
There are too many variables to determine who would win in a drag. I for example weigh 240lbs. If I raced a guy on a Predator that weighs 50lbs less than me, I would not be suprised if he beat me. Don't waste your time worrying about whether or not other people respect your quad. Does it really matter? I personally do not think so.

Good day fellas,
Matt

Old 12-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Webopper
..............and when it was put against the raptor, its didnt win either. The rappy can easily get its butt kicked by a yfz, so there you have it!

That's where the relevence came from, but you are right, not a good comparison of either todays Raptor or Predator. Both are much better machines than they were then.

"WEBOPPER", I am really confused by you right now. You started fighting with me in the beginning of this post because I stated that it isnt a comparison between the yfz and pred, except for comfort. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOUR SHOOTOUT THAT YOU POSTED SAYS TOO. If it wasnt for the yfz being so uncomfortable (due to it being a race quad) it probably would have won that shootout too.
YOU PROVED MY POINT!!!! As far as "performance" goes, the yfz is a lot better. As far as ergonomics go "comfort", the pred has the nod. THis is all I originally was stating, and you ended up backing me on it?
Then, in the other forum "pred vs 660" you stated thats its a good comparison between the 660 and the pred.
I am just confused what you are saying. I am sticking to what I said though, as there isnt a comparison for the two, due to one being a trail quad, and the other being a race quad. As far as "performance" goes, the yfz has the nod. If "comfort" is your thing, then YES, the pred has the nod, like I originally stated.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Fact of the matter is, comparing a Raptor to a yfz is like comparing a Camaro to a Vette. Same manufacturer but, different cars altogether. I honestly know little about the Predator so, I can't really say my Raptor is better. I definetaly like the look of the Predator but, have not had the chance to race one. I am happy with my quad.
There are too many variables to determine who would win in a drag. I for example weigh 240lbs. If I raced a guy on a Predator that weighs 50lbs less than me, I would not be suprised if he beat me. Don't waste your time worrying about whether or not other people respect your quad. Does it really matter? I personally do not think so.

Good day fellas,
Matt
I agree with you totally, and thats a good example. Camaro and vette. Same maker, different beast. Thats Why I own both.......yamaha's that is. I wish I could have the chevs too! The two make totally different types of power, for different things! Muscle vs sport

Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Good day fellas,
Matt
I agree with you totally, and thats a good example. Camaro and vette. Same maker, different beast. Thats Why I own both.......yamaha's that is. I wish I could have the chevs too! The two make totally different types of power, for different things! Muscle vs sport
What a minute, are you a chevy guy??

Old 12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

............ha ha, dude, when it comes to cars I am chevy, ford, toyota........really, if its cool, I like it and would own it! I certainly wouldnt kick a toyota supra, ford mustang, chev vette or camaro or a pontiac firebird out of my garage!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

I actually had a predator, and now own a yfz among other quads. To be honest, even though its a yamaha forum i do choose the yfz over the predator. It feels much better handling wise and doesnt have that awkward feeling when you sit on it. I even have the 04 yfz and the seat is STILL better than the predator's wooden plank hard seat. As far as motors? Dont think the predator is a slouch, it runs VERY hard and fast, they seem to hold up well (minus the 03 tranny), but the yfz has its share of probs too. There's more low end on the predator, but i really didnt care. The yfz felt much more stable and overall just felt much better ergonomically to me and im 6'1. I also have a raptor and hate the thing with a passion, but anyhow both are good bikes just sit on em at least and feel the difference, ride em if you can because they sure are different!

Old 05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Considering you can't spell, you are wrong on this comment. I believe that they had a shootout for best trail quad between the raptor and pred in the January 2005 Dirtwheels buyer's guide. As I look at it right now it says stock for stock the pred is by far the better buy. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Quick Reply: YFZ450 vs Polaris Predator 500