Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 grizzly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 grizzly wont start

i have an 04 grizzly that wont start i hooked hand warmers to the starter selinoid to the blue/white wire now that wire only has 4 volts and wont start the fourwheeler unless i jump the wire from the battery to give it 12 volts has anyone ever had a problem like this the voltage will change if i put in a different gear high low neutral and so on but not enough to let it start please help i am at my wits end.

thank you
Steve

Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

why on earth would you tie into that wire?

go to Lowes,buy a $2 dollar tester,,,,under the seat where your fuses,and all of the wires come together,,, go to towards the rear fender (of that area) there will be some wires tucked down behind all of that,,,,ground the tester with the aligator clip,and with the probe end start testing wires that are only hot when the key is turned on ,,,do this by tracing the wire to where you can probe a metal connector,you will have to push the probe up into the protective boot to get to the metal connector,,,when the tester light comes on switch the key OFF,,,if the light goes out,you have your wire,,,if the light stays on,trace a new wire until you find one

get a slip over wire connector/splice and tap into that wire,,,no cutting or anything involved

Old 12-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

your probably going to be lucky if you havnt fried your hand warmers,,,,that selinoid probably gets the most amperage of anything on the bike

Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have since then removed the hand warmers to a differant circuit and they work fine but still have the problem

Old 12-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

the wire that now has only 4 volts is a switched wire it turnes on and off with the ignition before i wired the hand warmers into it i checked the voltage and it was 12 volts it worked for a while then it wouldnt start tried new seliniod but that wasnt it i traced the blue/white wire back up by the gauge pod and it is only 4 volts up there also is it possible i fried the nuetral switch or something because when you put the fourwheeler in a differant gear the voltage on that wire will change and soon as you hit the starter button it drops to 0

please help
Steve

Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Check all your fuses and make sure something didnt come unpluged when you were messing with your wires.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

The wire your talking about goes into your CDI.....you may have damaged it when you hooked up your grip warmers.
Why didnt you just splice into your auxiliary DC jack for grip heater power?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

dont know what his reasons were not to tie into there,,,,,but for me the reason was that ,,,

all of that is sealed up nice and tight due to being exposed to the underside of the fender well,and i didnt even want to puncture the casing on those wires even with the pinch type splice connectors

i wanted to choose a place away from everyday moisture,so i chose wires under the seat for all of my wiring upgrades,where i could wrap up tight,and know if moisture does get that high,its only going to be a rare occurance,,,,not an everyday bombardment waiting to cause issues down the road

dont know about you,but ive learned my leason a long time ago,,,,its better to feed a few extra feet of wire to a nice dry,protected area,and to leave the factory sealed areas alone,,,than to be pulling your hair out figuring electrical issues,,,,i can not stand electrical problems,they are just too hard to pinpoint,and isolate

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Never use the pinch connectors or splices.
Always solder and use heat shrink.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

pinch,splice type connectors are perfectly acceptable,and are fast,easy,and less intrusive,,,,and with some good 3-M electrical tape that can stretch,you can also get pretty well sealead up since you cant use shrink tube with the connectors

im still always going to do what ive been doing,soley for the reason,i havent had a single electrical issue since

i guess what ever works,,,,i still do not like the idea of tapping into wires in "high moisture areas",,,,your just leaving yourself open to corosion,,,,soldered,and shrink tube, or not,,,,,good luck

Quick Reply: 04 grizzly wont start