Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1998 yamaha warrior...to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 yamaha warrior...to buy or not to buy?

I dont know much about these quads. I have an opportunity to purchase one in good shape for $1000 Ive only read that they are slow, tanks etc. I know this is a great deal for a running quad, especially with a clear title. I just dont want to throw away $1000. The only thing wrong with it literally is the reverse lever is missing, other than that, even the plastics and seat are in good shape. Any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

for $1000 you cant go wrong with that purchase.... if it is as good of shape as you say!!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I love my warrior. I am 210 lbs and it still goes 55 mph in stock form. The engines are bulletproof! An easy machine to ride but still great fun on the trail. I ride along side my buddy's 660 Grizzly and never have any problem keeping up. Go for it!

Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

make sure if at all possible that the rear bearings arent shot and stuff. thats usually something that goes on the warriors. other then that, sounds like a really good buy to me.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd take the deal. They're really not a slow quad, they're a little heavier than slower than the 400's, but that's to be expected with 18 year old technology. Even if there were little things wrong like bearings it's still a reasonable price. Just closely inspect the frame for bends, twists, cracks, and cracked paint where the frame may be bent.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 1996 warrior and it is a tank and a beast, it is indestructible, but it is a fast relieable tank that can keep up with a anything in trails as long as the rider is talented.

steve

Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I went and picked up the Warrior tonite. All I can say is WOW! There are a couple of little problems that will need to be addressed, but nothing major, and nothing immediate, other than a small wiring problem. It looks like a barely used quad. There is not a scratch on the plastic, the seat is perfect, everything seems to be very solid. There is no play in the wheels , or the rear axle. I was amazed. I was only there for about 40 minutes looking at it and talking to him, and in that time, 3 other people called about it. I bought it and brought it home tonite.

Couple of minor problems. Seems that the quad will lose power intermittently. He said that this has been like this for some time, he has to wiggle the wire around that leads to the positive side of the battery, he also claims that you need to have a battery charger hooked up while doing this. After a few wiggles, everything is fine again. No big deal as far as im concerned.
The starter is beginning to fail. It still works, but has the makings of a starter on its last leg. Again not a big deal, I can pick up a new one on ebay for around $50.
The clutch is also having some problems, may need to be adjusted, may be going. Not sure, but willing to replace if it needs it.

The tires even look new still. Clear title as well. I rode it around the neighborhood and it sounded and felt great. Also has a new looking FMF exhaust system and a twist throttle.

Thanks for the advice guys, cant wait to really get riding it this weekend!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the problem losing power due to electrical. Trace the positive battery cable down to the selonoid. There was a glass fuse encased in a waterproof enclosure that would jiggle loose. It would shut the whole machine down at times and lose power sometimes. I taped it up and no problems since.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the warrior's fuse holder does seem to cause a lot of problems. The best thing to do is cut the old one out and solder in a blade type automotive fuse holder. If that doesn't do the trick, take the wires off the solenoid and battery and clean the contacts off with some sandpaper or a wire brush(be careful that you don't short anything out if you use a wire brush though) If the starter is having a hard time turning the motor you probably just need to get it rebuilt. I got mine rebuilt for $30 and it works like new again. Warriors go through starter brushes pretty quick(depending on how often you ride they may need replaced every 2 years or so.)

good luck and have fun with your new ride